• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar hitting springs- What is your way around this?

pissyellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys do to get around the sway bar hitting the springs?

I know there are sway bar drop spacers, which are on the way...

Do a lot of you guys just get a disco extension that makes the sway bar go above the spring?

I thought you were supposed to keep the sway bar as level as possible?

If so, I think I might just get longer disco extentions and raise the sway above the point of hitting, obviously the sway will be higher than what it should but it should still work fine, correct?

Thanks in advance hasta

Do you have an adjustable track bar?

Set the pinion angle/caster and center your axle. Axle is likely off center a little and caster is too little resulting in a bow in the springs.

Set the pinion angle/caster and center your axle. Axle is likely off center a little and caster is too little resulting in a bow in the springs.
^This. I had the same problem until I figured out I measured my castor wrong. Got everything back in spec, and I was good to go.

You could always take it off? if you have handling issues then throw it back on and adjust the caster. I just took mine off and have no difference in handling. now you got two issues solved: no rubbing and no dealing with disconnects

You could always take it off? if you have handling issues then throw it back on and adjust the caster. I just took mine off and have no difference in handling. now you got two issues solved: no rubbing and no dealing with disconnects
no two jeeps will act the same disconnected, try it first

This was my first thought, but it's my DD so I want some stability.

I also drive more on the freeway out here which is 70 mph.

Couldn't imagine no sway at 70 if I needed to swerve real fast.

I ended up drilling new holes about an inch back on the swaybar and cutting off the factory ends. I did that instead of installing swaybar drop brackets

no two jeeps will act the same disconnected, try it first

which is why i suggested he try it without it and if he has problems throw it back on. every jeep is different

This was my first thought, but it's my DD so I want some stability.

I also drive more on the freeway out here which is 70 mph.

Couldn't imagine no sway at 70 if I needed to swerve real fast

and its worth a try. my 88 sways like crazy without it so i put it back on but my 89 seems to handle better consistently at 65-75mph

I swerved today at 65, stupid van slammed the brakes a good 100yds before she actually needed to, but it reacted well with no sway bar. so test it without or adjust the angle and caster like they said previously

on my 89 with 4.5" of lift, i extended the endlinks. even with the caster set proporly with adjustable upper and lower control arms, the sway bar still hit so the cheapest option was to extend them.

Back