• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank skid build

Ben_Dyer

NAXJA Forum User
gasskid.png

ok i need some input on my measurements and if someone has the time a double check of my triple checked work. i am going to Moab mext month and want to get a gas tank skid installed. i drew this rough paint sketch up and wanted some input. the front (vehicle front) is the horizontal 9.5" piece on rear is the 7".
my angles are (from rear to front)...
7"-5.25"= 90*
5.25"-12"= inside 5*
12"-11.5"=inside 5*
11.5"-9"= what would this angle be?
9"-9.5"=90*
i plan to drill four or five holes in the rear to attach it directly to the bumper. then to mount the front i plan to use the exsisting bump stop holes (mount the skid then the bump stop).
the bottom section is the rear cross member, the notch on the right side is for the shock to pass through. my thinking here was that having the skid mount to the subframe rails it will help to stiffen up the rear end.
I also do not plan to encase the tank, so no side pieces. do you think this will make the skid too flimsy?
and what thickness steel do you think would be enough 1/8" or 3/16"

Hmmmm..... let me read that again...... Hmmmm..... I think you just posted what your were thinking and not an actual question or drawing of something legible... but maybe it's just me.

After all your the only one that knows what your talking about.

Look at aftermarket gas tank skids, they are super simple and not all cluster XXXXed like your thought seems to be.

I think your over thinking the skid.

A factory skid would be a whole lot easier, cheaper, and at least as strong. I put mine on seven years ago, planning to skin it with 1/8", but it's held up so well I haven't bothered...

But since that wasn't what you asked: If the 12" section is 5* below horizontal, and the 11.5 is 5* below that, the 11.5-9 angle has to be 80*.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it turns out...

Robert

thanks guys preciate the help. ironic the one guy i did not think would be any help was the most lol. only problem with looking at a gas tank skid is there are none near me and every pic i can find online is partial with no real way to see all of it. ill let you guys know how this turns out.

I hope Amy finds her tricycle

is that his screen name or real name? what did that cost ya?

Screen name on Pirate... I don't think he is building any more, but check with him if your interested.

I think $235.00??? But that was a couple years ago and at a reduced price because of a group buy....

only problem with looking at a gas tank skid is there are none near me and every pic i can find online is partial with no real way to see all of it. ill let you guys know how this turns out.

it would be alot easier to build off a stock one if you can find one. heres what i did for mine, it might at least give you some different pictures/views to work with.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1001169

thanks for the help guys ive called all the local Jy and none have any grand cherokees in stock.
well since we are going to denver to pick up my new spare ill start calling JY dows there.

If i can find a stock gas tank skid i will re-enforce it instead. nice welding foxwar71

my theory on attaching it to the bumper was that, one i dont have a stock hitch, two my bumper has one hell of a gap and with this the worse case scenario of sliding off the tank skid or missing it completly and landing just right would cause a hang up.

i wanted to hug the tank as close as possable to keep clearance. hence the multiple bends and angles.

whats your guys thoughts on my mounting bracket? do you think it will help stiffen up the rear at all?

Last edited:
Back