• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Door Locks

dstef1605

NAXJA Forum User
Today, I noticed that my power locks are doing something funny. When your press the button to lock or unlock, all you get is a small click sound on the passenger side of the vehicle. The lock actuators do not do anything. To further test what could be going wrong, I went to the passenger side door switch and tried to lock and unlock the doors, but the same symptoms exist, except for on the passenger side you can feel a slight tick on the plastic around the switch when you try to lock or unlock the doors. This one puzzles me, anyone have any thoughts as to why all of the sudden my door locks stop working or why I am feeling a tick when I use the passenger side switch to try and make the doors lock?

The lock circuit has two subsystems, first is the switch to relay, then there is relay to actuator (actually there are relays for LOCK vs UNLOCK that reverse polarity of the voltage on the actuator circuit, but whatever). What you hear is the relay firing, so the switch portion is working, which means the actuator portion is not working. I believe there is a fuse and a circuit breaker on that leg in the PDC somewhere but if you feel the actuator try to work then I'm guessing the circuit is fine and there is a problem in the door itself, maybe one of the actuators is sticking and the circuit breaker is tripping? See if you can narrow down the non-working door, pop the panel and unplug the motor, and go from there

Ehall - do you know which / where the relays for the door locks are?
I'm not finding any info there, am searching (I swear)
I had my locks firing randomly, unplugged passenger's switch and it stopped firing. Replaced with new switch, locks don't work - got them to fire a little bit but now the switches do nothing at all.
I'm now thinking blown relay, now that I know there is one.
Any other ideas?

Bahh, don't think they are there on a 98...
Halfway inclined to swap to the older style doors just for more reliable parts...

The relays on the 01 and maybe all 97+ are located in the passenger door in a module with the door lock switch.

Pin out for PDM Passenger Door Module:
C2 1 = Door Lock Control from Overhead Module
C2 2 = Door UnLock Relay Control from Overhead Module
C2 3 = Door Lock Switch Output(Lock) > Driver Power Lock Window Switch
C2 4 = Fused Ignition Switch Output(RUN-ACC) Circuit Breaker 28 25Amp
C2 5 = Fused B(+) Fuse 15 25Amp
C2 6 = Ground
C2 7 = Door Lock Switch Output(UnLock) > Driver Power Lock Window Switch
C2 8 = Key in Ignition Switch Sense

C1 1 = Door UnLock Driver
C1 2 =
C1 3 =
C1 4 =
C1 5 = Door Lock Driver

did this ever get resolved? i have the same exact symptoms. may pull the PDM tonight to see if it changes the symptoms. anyone ever replace one? $$? i'm trying to get at the low hanging fruit before i tear down all my doors

I have the same problem on my 99' random function. When it doesn't lock on mine I bang the passenger door a bit and function returns. Probably more high quality wire :banghead:like the speakers. Anyhow its a connection problem in mine.

I have the same problem on my 99' random function. When it doesn't lock on mine I bang the passenger door a bit and function returns. Probably more high quality wire :banghead:like the speakers. Anyhow its a connection problem in mine.

yours is almost certainly in that passenger door then.

mine used to come and go, seemingly more likely to work when it was hot. but now they don't work ever. i'll start unplugging the actuators and see if that gets it going...

I had this same issue, tried swapping relays and switch blocks around, nothing helped.
The fix?
Took the rubber cable conduit out from the body, stuffed it into the door panel, got at the actual wires and saw one of them broken. Put in a splice, wrapped it all back up & power locks work like a charm.
Check all the cables where they are constantly bending / flexing and I bet you find your culprit.

Back