• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to get OEM parts

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know of an online place to get OEM parts? I have been to several websites and some have the parts I want but not all the parts I want. I am staying away from Junk yard parts because I don't want to get parts that are already worn. All I really need is the AUX fan for a 96 Sport 4.0L, and the Air Box. I would also like to stay away from Crown Auto because everything I have ever gotten from them has been crap. thanks

I don't think you'll find either of those online, if you do they'll be expensive. I don't know how a jy airbox would differ from a new one besides dirt.

Google "mopar parts online", gets about 2,000,000 hits. You will find a number of online dealers in OEM parts.

Last time I talked to a dealer about a replacement air box--for a customer's Ford--it was just under $400. Customer became very interested in a salvage yard air box really fast.

yeah... rockauto.com for most stuff, mopardiscountparts.com for specific XJ stuff (though if it's an MJ specific part, I'm usually SOL), funjeepsparts.com for gas tank strap bolts, and the junkyard for the rest. I usually try the yard first unless it's nuts/bolts/wear items. I look at it this way - just the lower half of the airbox for a 91 costs 80 dollars at the dealership. I can get the whole box for 20 bucks at the junkyard. So I can get and break 4 of them before (half of!) the dealer one is more economical... and it's 3 bolts and some clips to replace it, so I don't really mind having to do it a few times.

Should be a million aux fans and airboxes at the JY, they don't usually go bad.

Junkyard is PRICELESS for certain parts. An airbox being one of them (got a nice one for $2). I never buy any sensors, electrical parts (except a nice clean fuse block and an upgraded aux. fan - $10), or things that really do wear out, like moving parts. Available OEM parts are generally those things that wear out and/or there is a demand for. Once you get past 20 years old, things get pretty scarce.

I'll buy sensors at the JY :dunno:

I can get eight TPS sensors for the price of a single autozone one. One of em is going to work.

Bearings (the press-on kind, I'll use a spare JY unit bearing on the shaft it came with), filters, brake bits, etc are not something I would use from the JY though. Seals are also right out.

I guess I view electronics from the junkyard as a lottery ticket with really good odds. If I think the odds are good enough that I can be guaranteed to win by spending less on "tickets" than I would for a maybe-known-good part from autozone, I'll do it. Cash for clunkers vehicles are great for this because you are pretty much guaranteed to get working parts with the exception of the engine itself.

I'll buy sensors at the JY :dunno:

I can get eight TPS sensors for the price of a single autozone one. One of em is going to work.

And it's also a great way to troubleshoot what you think may be a failing sensor...especially when there's no CEL to help in the diagnosis.

Yeah... I can't think of many sensors that don't provide a linear signal that can be read with a multimeter or oscilloscope. Temp sensors are all resistors, the MAP sensor outputs a voltage, the TPS is just a resistor that outputs a voltage when wired to the ECU. O2 sensors output a fluctuating voltage but I don't test those or buy them at the junkyard, I buy those new and replace as needed. Could test them with an oscilloscope if I really wanted to.

Just got a perfectly good stock airbox for my '90 at a junkyard for $11. Has all the hoses, connections, everything. All except the bolts.

Only problem is... It was the only junkyard I could find with XJ's and it was 20 miles away and they only had four. But if you own a Ford Exploder, you're in luck. All yards have at least twenty of em.

Junkyard is PRICELESS for certain parts. Once you get past 20 years old, things get pretty scarce.

even in j/y they can get pretty scarce. most anything over 10-15 years old goes to the crusher... unless you are one lucky s.o.b. and get to it before they crush it.
or they know that it has parts on it that will sell (they know that there are enough out there still on the road & people will be by to get the parts).

even in j/y they can get pretty scarce. most anything over 10-15 years old goes to the crusher... unless you are one lucky s.o.b. and get to it before they crush it.
or they know that it has parts on it that will sell (they know that there are enough out there still on the road & people will be by to get the parts).
I'd agree, but there are 8-10 XJs and an MJ at my local yard right now. Two of them are RENIX and there were another two RENIX vehicles that got crushed last week. None of them were newer than 20 years :shocked: Vehicles usually last 2-4 weeks at this yard, these were no exception.

I'd agree, but there are 8-10 XJs and an MJ at my local yard right now. Two of them are RENIX and there were another two RENIX vehicles that got crushed last week. None of them were newer than 20 years :shocked: Vehicles usually last 2-4 weeks at this yard, these were no exception.

kastein, i can understand that. it also depends on where ya are in the world on how long a vehicle lasts in a yard & which yard it is.
i've seen the same thing happen in different cities & yards i've been to.

very true... at another yard on the other side of the state they seem to switch stuff out weekly.

I was shocked to see that many RENIX era jeeps in my usual yard actually, most of them are decimated by rust by the time they reach that age up here in the rust belt.

Back