• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Tie Rod Ends contributing to problem?

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
While working under the truck this weekend I noticed that every single greasable area in the steering components is greasy on the outside of the boots. I actually found that the tie rod end on my driver's side knuckle to be torn. Could these be contributing factors to my death wobble? There is no play in the system, it is all solid, but the ripped boot was a red flag to me.

1999 XJ Sport with 2" spacer lift.

Is your steering stabilizer dry?, Alignment ok? You can jack up the front end and shake the wheels and look for play in the steering and ball-joints.
You may simply have a torn boot and the tie-rod end be ok. Might be able to replace the boot.
Most of my DW issues have been due to tire balancing or bent rims.

as long as you are POSITIVE they have no play then i wouldnt worry too much about them. just keep them greased. make sure the ball joints and trackbar are also tight.

The stabilizer is a new Rancho. Not sure on the alignment, and the tires are due to be replaced (street tires nearly down to indicators). There is no play in the wheels (u-joints and bearings seem to be snug). I have a rough ride, and believe the tires are part of the problem. Right now the lower control arms are being replaced in the next week, and then I will get it aligned. But the torn boot gave me a flag. It is tough to replace the boot only?

if your not sure on the alignment, id start there to diagnose death wobble.

as for the torn boot, personally id just replace the whole TRE. ive had bad luck trying to seat a new boot, and the part failing shortly after. im not a fan of repairing worn parts either. im not saying its hard at all, im fairly mechanically retarded. but its one of those little things that for some reason can turn into a pain in the arse.

You can buy replacement boots, you can upgrade to poly boots, or you can replace the TRE that comes with a new boot. Your choice.

Back