• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick shock opinion request

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
1993 4.0 aw4 AA sye re upper and lower fixed CAs * soon to have drop brackets.. re3.5 coils/leafs *nets roughly 41/2-5in front 5 or 6 rear.

driving habits: DD 90% on road. when off pavement mostly washboard roads, hill climbs, various dirt/ gravel terrain, light crawling.

when i do wheel her i am quite hard on her. i dont need her to ride like a cadillac, however for a DD i want a decent on road ride..wishful thinking..

Question: my original plan was to buy 5150s. do i really need more than a bilstein 5150/or comparable ? my love for "bullet proof" generally exceeds my wallet; but i have no issue spending extra coin to better suit my needs.

Opinions welcomed...

Last edited:
The 5150's will be fine for what you're doing. That's a better shock than a whole lot of people are running, and it's not a harsh ride.

Question: my original plan was to buy 5150s. do i really need more than a bilstein 5150/or comparable ? my love for "bullet proof" generally exceeds my wallet; but i have no issue spending extra coin to better suit my needs.

Opinions welcomed...

absolutely! fox fox fox fox! 5150's are not rebuildable/revalveable.
i run a re 3.5 kit, with lift shackles. i run fox 2.0 10's up front with oem fitment (stud mount, with bushing). out back, ive been running 10's, but theyre too short, and im going into the cab with rear shocks, im guessing 12/14's. BUMPSTOPPING AND LIMIT STRAPPING are the most important thing about the newer shocks.

fox stuff can be rebuilt/fixed, and re-used/sold/etc/etc. try that with a 5150

If you want reasonable price and simplicity the 5150's are a good choice. As far as being rebuildable, King, Fox, SAW, Bilstein, FOA, Radflo, Walker Evans, and others all make rebuildable shocks.

Bilstein 5100 or 7100 are both rebuildable. The 5100 would likely be a lot cheaper than a comparable Fox 2.0. I got my 7100s w/reservoir for about $185 each, they're available no res as well for less.

Nope,best shock for the $ AND ride I think that these http://www.shocksandsuspension.com/productinfo-item-3_dc-1.htm
would be good and a great price,they ride awesome on road too.I usually hit a set of train traxs that make everyone almost stop to go over-mostly due to if you look at them head on they are 4-5 feet above the road surface-kinda like a hill then go back down-I hit them at 50 mph and float up and float down -once - and settles not hard up or down- love it - my kids tells me to go faster!!!!:roll:
Plus just add your info and they have it figured out for you-
IF you have a standard type lift set up-NOT custom then you have to do the prefered measure route.

I will never buy inexpensive shocks again. I use to think that fancy reservoirs were only for the go fast guys, until I put a set of Fox 2.0 adjustable reservoirs on my XJ. 35’s 7.5 lift and it is the smoothest riding vehicle I have ridden in for a long time.
My stock ZJ has red KYB, total junk. When they wear out I will go with a rebuild able shock maybe King.
If you have not experienced these newer design shocks you have no idea of what you are missing.

Just because they are not $200 + does not make them any better...............I too was fooled by that route-I got a Tenneco-(monroe) Stering stab like so many claim is great and works good-paid $50 for it-3 months latter it was leaking form the seal and developed a dead spot-GARBAGE!!! I put back on my 5 year old Heckethorn-Rough Counttry-old stuff -NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!! $ wisely choose.

Just because they are not $200 + does not make them any better...............I too was fooled by that route-I got a Tenneco-(monroe) Stering stab like so many claim is great and works good-paid $50 for it-3 months latter it was leaking form the seal and developed a dead spot-GARBAGE!!! I put back on my 5 year old Heckethorn-Rough Counttry-old stuff -NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!! $ wisely choose.

hmmm, my experience with the tenneco steering stabilizer is opposite. bought it for 30$ at a local auto parts store and it has been just fine a few years now.

thanks everyone! i decided to go with the bilsteins. if she ever gets to be trail only ill upgrade then.

-f-a-t-b-o-y on brothers account.

Back