• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 Backing Plate?

buy new backing plates?

Go to the junk yard and find an Explorer with good backing plates and pull them.

Trim the backing plates larger than the 4 bolt pattern where they bolt on. That will be enough to support the parking brake hardware.

Trim the backing plates larger than the 4 bolt pattern where they bolt on. That will be enough to support the parking brake hardware.

Umm, what about where the cable mounts? Or the spreader at the top?

I would get on car-part.com, find a southern junkyard with a couple backing plates and pay them the 10 bucks they want to ship them to your house.

What about the parking brake hardware? The retainer springs mount to the backing plate.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Find someone friendly from the south/southwest and pay them to pull backing plates at the JY maybe? I can get a whole axle for 100 bucks around here, if it weren't for the fact that most of the backing plates here are just as rusty as yours I could probably get you some for like 20 bucks.

I would get on car-part.com, find a southern junkyard with a couple backing plates and pay them the 10 bucks they want to ship them to your house.

X2

the backing plate is rivited to the mounting bracket just got done messing with mine.

the backing plate is rivited to the mounting bracket just got done messing with mine.

so you can drill out the rivits while the backing plate/bracket is on the axle still, and the bracket will come off without having to remove the axles?

Warning... the backing plate is kinda needed if you want the e-brakes to function.

I cut the heads off the rivets with my angle grinder, only to realize I would need them, so I threw them back on and bolted it up again. Ended up just cutting the disc shield portions of the backing plates off with a pair of shears, since they were pretty mangled and badly rusted as well.

Back