• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing UCA Bushings

I've heard people say it's easier and more cost effective to just replace the entire UCA. I think new ones (w/ bushings) are like $22 from Quadratec.

Ty, I am looking into that but they only include the bushing at the frames attach point. You still need to deal with the bushing at the diff mount end.

I recently did this myself. The OEM style are the best way to go. They're cheap and last a long time.

Changing them isn't complicated but it can take some time.

Chrysler has a special tool to do it at a cost of $300.00 - whatever

I used a combination of things to pull them.

First, I coated them down with PB Blaster. I know they are press fit, but I was looking for any help I could get. After spraying them, I let it sit overnight.

I took one of the new bushings to hardware store and found the largest bolt I could that fit through the center and about 12 washers that fit the bolt and the diameter of the metal ring around the bushing as well as a couple of nuts for the bolt.

Also, I had on hand a cheap balljoint puller (heavy duty C clamp) from Harbor Freight and small propane tank (the kind plumbers use - you can get them at Wally-World or the hardware store).

Basically, I put one washer on the bolt and then slid a receiver cup from the balljoint tool on. The receiver cup does just that in this case - receives the bushing. You could also use a really large socket here as well and get the same effect. I then slid the bolt into the bushing on the side that has the lip. I then put as many washers on as would fit and leave me room to thread on the nut. As you tighten the nut it applies pressure to the bushing, pushing it into the balljoint receiver cup.

Don't get in a hurry. It's not going to move quickly. Mine were the originals and after 200,000 miles were rather stubborn.

I turned the nut to apply pressure. I would then heat up portion of the axle the bushing sat in for a while and then turn turn the nut again. Like I said, it took quite a long time to get them out, but it works.

When its time to put the new ones in, just remove the homemade bushing tool, put the new bushing in place and slide the bushing tool in from the other side of the bushing. This was as you tighten the nut, it pulls the bushing into the mounting hole.

You probably want to get a few of the nuts, bolts, washers. Depending on how stubborn the bushings are, you will probaly wear out the setup.

Kragen has moog bushings for 12$ a pair, and a there is DIY tool somewheres that is basically a piece of allthread through a cup dealy with some washers, way easier to maneuver than the balljoint press. maybe someone knows what im talking about and has the link.
I need to do mine tomorrow.

This is probably the tool you are thinking about -- link

Ball joint press worked for me, except where the rubber was already damaged and fell out on its own, then I used a sawzall to split the outer sleeve and knocked it out easily

I've heard people say it's easier and more cost effective to just replace the entire UCA. I think new ones (w/ bushings) are like $22 from Quadratec.

If you're replacing the frame end ones, yes.

The axle end bushings are in the axle housing.. .and they're a pain in the butt.

burn the rubber bushing out with a torch or drill the rubber out with multiple holes. cut a slot in the outer sleeve and then pull out sleeve.

This is probably the tool you are thinking about -- link

Ball joint press worked for me, except where the rubber was already damaged and fell out on its own, then I used a sawzall to split the outer sleeve and knocked it out easily

Thats the exact tool I was thinking of, thanks. It made the changing the bushings 10x easier for me.

Kool, thanx guys!!!!

I appreciate the input. I have a ball joint press, torches and a few other items that may come in handy. I can get the bushings for $13 here local. I was thinking of just doing the diff bushings as the arms seem ok at the 'frame'.

Back