• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axil tube mud seals

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of buying some axil tube mud seals to keep the mud out of D30 axil tubes. One advantage I am thinking of is if I need to change an axil on the trail the tubes will be nice and clean. I am wondering if I am going to get condensation and rust in the tube as a result of axil tube now being sealed up. I am also wondering if water may get sucked into the tube past the axil tube seal when the diff is cooled when driven through water. Has anybody used them and experienced any of these problems. http://www.jeepin.com/features/axleseals/index.shtml

I have the AlloyUSA ones and this will be my 4th or 5th year with the same set. I love 'em . When i was doing seal replacements i cleaned all the rust and crap out of the tubes then installed them. When i do my annual servicing of the locker, i pull the shafts and inspect the tubes; they're always clean. I change my gear oil yearly and its never 'watery', so i do believe that they seal quite well; but yes a hot diff in water is a vacuum. Proper prepping of the axle tube is critical on how well they'll perform. Definitely worth the money IMHO -B

Yes, the diff is vented via a hose to that little vent cap on the firewall right behind the intake manifold.

There shouldnt be much, heat in the tube. Theres nothing going on in there.

For Corrosion try some LPS3 it keeps the metal sealed very well

Back