• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Front Seats in XJ with pics

ctnsupra1

NAXJA Forum User
I've been following discussions for awhile but haven't seen much in the way of pics. So I snapped a few so people could get an idea of what's involved:

First get yourself some ZJ seats from the PNP yard. This one came out of a 96 Grand Cherokee with some front end damage
P1070011.jpg

The ZJ seats have much better lumbar support and the foam is a lot better. My stock seats are beat and feel terrible.

Next undo the 4 13mm bolts that hold the mounts to the rails. You can look under the seat and see what they look like, they're the only bolts on the underside.

The circled areas show where the respective rails are mounted. The ZJ uses the inner more mounting holes, but they're already drilled and therefore able to accept the XJ rails.

P1070012-1.jpg

Here are the stock XJ brackets and rails on the ZJ seat:

P1070013.jpg

And finally everything mounted up. There are no clearance issues and it fits like it was meant to be there (and should have been). It does sit a little higher than the stock seats but it doesn't bother me even at 6'2". The added support and cushion is well worth it.

P1070015.jpg

Nice writeup there my friend. Been thinking of changing out my worn out seats for some better fitting seats after hitting the JY this weekend. This just gave me the push I need to actually do it. Seeing as how increadibly easy it is.

Lookin good, I run the same ZJ seat.

For those who find this in a search later, remember, this bolt-in application only works on 95 and newer XJ's... if you have a 94 or older, you have a different bracket and will have to fab an adapter as I did.

What about the back seats in a ZJ? Will they fit into a newer XJ without modification? I saw some leather ones front and rear at the junk yard but passed them because I wanted the front and rear seats to match.

What about the back seats in a ZJ? Will they fit into a newer XJ without modification? I saw some leather ones front and rear at the junk yard but passed them because I wanted the front and rear seats to match.

There is some modification required.

The brackets from the ZJ need to be used on the XJ, you have to trim the corners of the bottom cushion, and you end up with the center seat back bracket in the middle of your trunk floor.

Lookin good, I run the same ZJ seat.

For those who find this in a search later, remember, this bolt-in application only works on 95 and newer XJ's... if you have a 94 or older, you have a different bracket and will have to fab an adapter as I did.

What does this adapter.....adapt? Looks pretty straight forward to me. Even on the older models. I might be spending a few hours this weekend in the JY tearing out some seats from ZJ's WJ's and XJ's comparing tracks and mountings to see what the differences are.

I dont doubt what u speak of, just need to find out for myself.

Back