• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case oil

muddslinger

NAXJA Forum User
ok im changing the oil in my np321. now... i have always been told/taught to put gear oil in all my truck and cj t-cases. when i pulled out the drain plug on this it was motor oil (maby weird tranny oil) that came out.

can i put gear oil in this t-case?? some one told me it had a pump that couldnt handle gear oil. if i cant put 80-90 gear oil in it im dumbfounded what do i put in it then this is a first for me.

It's designed for ATF. I use ATF+4. I did and SYE and yes, there is an oil pump in it. I am old school and would like to put 80-90 in it but the TC won't be around long if I do, JMHO.

Why would you want to put gear oil in your x-fer case? Its not a splash oiled case. You wouldnt put gear oil in your engine would you?

well it is all the same crap the only difference is the additives.

i remember hearing dex has a an anti slip additive and atf 4 dose not.
no determaning weather the anti slip is good or bad for a 231 t-case is the hard part.

Just put some good quality Dex III in it and it will be fine. Some people have reported smoother function using B&M trick shift (which is compatible with all Dextron tranny fluids). That's what I used last time and it did seem a bit smoother to shift.

Dec/Merc III is a transmission fluid, but it is not ATF.

WTF ? what do you think ATF stands for? its Automatic transmission fluid.. that's all

some people make a statement that makes no f-n sense, mudslinger is right there are different specs hence the different spec names of ATF.. but its still ATF.
and the 231 doesn't have friction plates so there would be no reason it would care what type ATF you use in it.

Quick question for future reference, how much fluid does an NP231 hold?

Back