• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken sway bar stud

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I went to tighten the axle side sway bar bushings up and *pop* broke the stud. The welded in torx bolt on the axle side, not the link itself.

My thinking is to hack-saw the stud flush with the bracket and then drill it out and use a bolt.

Anyone performed a similar fix? what size bit & what size bolt did you use? Any alternative / easier fixes?

Are you sure it's welded in? I was under the impression that those studs are splined, and you can press them out using a pitman arm tool or similar.

I was having a hell of a time removing mine with a puller, hammer, and PB Blaster. I ended up grinding the head off it and with a stack of washers against the bracket, tightened a nut down on it to draw the bolt through. Came right out like that. 5 mins per side....of course that is after the 30 mins I spent swearing and beating on it.

Back