• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch - universal for all year XJ's?

uRabbit

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if a hatch from, say, a '97 XJ would fit my '90. I know the hatch - among a few other parts - underwent some updating throughout the years, so I would like to see if they're compatible.

I really dislike the '90's hatch. I'd like to have the latch to pull it open instead of that stupid metal lock/handle.

Thanks guys!
(Tried a google search and forum search; sorry if this has been posted before!)

A 97+ hatch will be metal, so its gonna be a lot heavier than your fiberglass one, you'll need the lift rods for the newer hatch too. It should fit but the taillights will look retarded unless you get the newer ones to match the hatch. Not sure if the latch will fit.

Nope, won't work. The earlier hatches have external hinges. The newer ones have internal hinges. And the body lines are different.

What's wrong with your latch? Jeep offered a reinforcement kit to hold the latch more securely into the hatch if it got all loosened up if that's your problem.

What's wrong with your latch? Jeep offered a reinforcement kit to hold the latch more securely into the hatch if it got all loosened up if that's your problem.

I just don't like the latch is all. I'll show you (too lazy to get my own images, so google it is!)

Here's mine:
052208010-016.jpg

Here's the one I like:
131_1003_09+jeep_cherokee_xj_build_advice_information+rear_hatch.jpg

Guess I'll just have to deal with it or get a newer XJ. Haha

AWW, quit yer whinin' and just clean and lube the sticky thing. I'm sure you can scrounge some type of handle from a J/Y.

lol quit yet whinning rabbit, at least you have that push-button to open your!!!

mine is MIA!!! (have to actualy push my fingers through the gapping hole there to open mine!)

see what i mean?

yeah i know how inconvenient it can be. i load mine up every week wiuth garbage & put stuff in the back all the time. not to mention thats where i keep my tools for when i need to work on it, lol

new style trim and front end conversion? very nice... did you do the inside too? the only give away was the tail lights.

but to the original post, no its not possible without fabrication beyond new hinges and lights. itd take a considerable amount of fab work. the fiberglass hatch is lighter. just stick it out or get a newer jeep.

new style trim and front end conversion? very nice... did you do the inside too? the only give away was the tail lights.
thanks, don't forget the wing windows :laugh:
no interior work to the '93 and I recently traded it in for an '01

on the original topic
Marcus aka GoJeep said adding the '97-'01 rear hatch and lights looks do-able but would invlove a lot of work. I guess it's all relative.

i was wonderign this same question. :(
i have a 98 found a hatch from a 93. i wanted to get another hatch and make a half hatch like the half doors :)

Back