• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker!

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, anyone on here run an Aussie locker in the front axle??? I've got a 44 rear with a detroit, 4.56's and a 30 open up front. I wanted to upgrade to a ARB and better axles up front BUT I've been throwing around the idea of getting an Aussie locker to get me through my summer excursions. Obviously I had an idea of what I was getting into when I did the detroit in the rear and yeah it bangs and pops some times but it works great and so far its money well spent. With that being said I am more picky for what I want up front for obvious reasons. Any one on here run an Aussie locker in their front end on a daily driver? I was wondering how it was when in 4 HI or 4 LO and trying to make tight turns on trails? Is it pretty aggressive or some what well mannered for a locker? How is it around town and making parking lot turns and u turns in 2 WD? Have you ever regretted buying it? Either way it would be temporary because I will get an ARB eventually but for 250 bucks shipped its worth it to me, not to mention I work at a shop so I've got the means to install it and wont loose out on paying for labor.

No issues for a daily driver as long as your not on ice. It will be noisy until its broken in good after that you won't notice it. I recommend Lucas 80-90wt for a good gear lube.

I would recommend the TeraFlex 2-low kit for tight trails, makes turning tight a cinch.

Nice, I figure nothing's permanent but I just didn't want to buy something that is horrible on the street. Hell for 250 bucks that would be worth it for a few good wheeling trips. Like when I got my winch, it was money well spent the first trip out. Hmm...I may have to try an Aussie Locker.

I have been running a aussie in my dd for a little over a year now and i have had no issues with it on the street or offroad. On the street you wont even notice it and offroad it gives huge amounts of traction. When making Tight turns in 2wd it will grind but thats normal , offroad i usually have have to make wide turns or many 3 point turns on the tighter trails. Overall a great locker in my opinion.

You wont be dissapointed. Ice does suck as both wheels are turning at the same speed, and the locker will lock/unlock and bang . It will actuate from the pressure of braking. 2lo kit went in before my aussie and is nice when you need it. I drive on the road plenty and it is good

im running one of there's in my front axle. dana 30 4.56. i have some locking and unlocking noises on tight left hand turns. other than that went in easy and works very well. it has got me thru John Bull trail in Big Bear ca. and Upper Doran and Odessa canyons in the Calico mts no problem.im very happy.

I'm running an Aussie in my Dana 30 with 4.88's. It works great offroad and doesn't make any noise.

On road there is very little noise only when turning very sharp at low speeds.

I would not recommend this if you want to drive your Jeep on road in 4HI in snowy conditions. It becomes very unpredictable with all the locking and unlocking.

No issues for a daily driver as long as your not on ice. It will be noisy until its broken in good after that you won't notice it. I recommend Lucas 80-90wt for a good gear lube.

I would recommend the TeraFlex 2-low kit for tight trails, makes turning tight a cinch.
why do you recommend lucas?

I recommend amsoil 75w-110, its full synthetic, the best money can buy, and you can use it front and rear.

I have had one in my front Dana 30 (with 4.56's) for a couple years now. Tight turns off road can be tough, especially on stuff like slickrock. If the trail is looser, not too bad. Snow and ice are down right frightening. For a summer off road rig, kind of hard to pass up at $250 though, and mine has worked without issue. I do think it has been harder on my u-joints too.

If you plan on using your Jeep as a daily driver in any sort of wintery weather, hold out for a selectable. If it's a dedicated trail rig or sees mostly summer use, go for it. A few pops and bangs are worth the reasonable price tag.

I have had one in my front Dana 30 (with 4.56's) for a couple years now. Tight turns off road can be tough, especially on stuff like slickrock. If the trail is looser, not too bad. Snow and ice are down right frightening. For a summer off road rig, kind of hard to pass up at $250 though, and mine has worked without issue. I do think it has been harder on my u-joints too.

If you plan on using your Jeep as a daily driver in any sort of wintery weather, hold out for a selectable. If it's a dedicated trail rig or sees mostly summer use, go for it. A few pops and bangs are worth the reasonable price tag.

well put. especially the scarey ice and snow

what do you base your synthetic decision on?
I have used a few other brands of syn gear lube, and this seems to work the best, and the price is decent too. You do NOT have to use the 110, they make a variety of different viscosity gear lubes, but you can use the 110 front and rear. Drain intervals are longer, and it does not seem to be as dirty as others.

Back