• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD1 code 35? HELP!!!

MikeChavez

NAXJA Forum User
Newbie here! I have a 92' XJ 4.0 w/ AX15. It has recently been running rough on acceleration and lacking some power. It does start right up every time, but idles a little rough. I did the key on-off-on-off-on thing to get the check engine light codes and it came up with codes 33 and 35
I found a list online and it says....

Code 33: Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted (may be in the wide-open-throttle cutoff circuit or normal on early 80's models if you don't have air conditioning)
Note that my rig does not have AC, so I'm really not sure about this one

Code 35: idle switch motor fault - check connections
OR
Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted
I don't think anything is wrong with my "cooling fan", if that's the fan on the front of the motor. What I'm really wondering is if the "Idle Switch Motor" is talking about the idle air control or IAC. Please if you can help with this question or in any way with those codes I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

dont worry bout that ac code. if you dont have it theres no need to worry. the 35 would be talking about the IAC. make sure you have a good voltage (5 or 12) and a good ground. if thats ok, you could try to clean or you may have to replace it.

Back