• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Sprung A Leak

Brad M.

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys, have a HP D30, 4.56's, and an ARB.

Walking out to the XJ this morning to go to work, I noticed a small puddle right up against my right front tire. Turned out to be gear oil, leaking out the end of the tube. Haven't been wheeling in a while, nothing but daily driving the last few months. However, I recently had the pinion bearing replaced. I'm guessing inner axle seal is bad? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Same here but it just stopped... I checked my oil level and its good.. So i think something must have got in between the seal and came out or not not sure... As long as mine dont leave huge puddles im not gonna mess with it.

i was just going to link it ;) its not too bad. the hardest part is making sure the seal seats all the way.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions :cheers:

there are a lot of great writeups in the FAQs & writeups section, check em out. A few of us fought pretty hard to get that area updated with the writeups.

Last edited:
Great writeup Grimm! Thanks for linking it Seiler. My concern is that I have an ARB in the front and I don't have a case spreader. So I guess I'll be bribing someone, somewhere... :D

Great writeup Grimm! Thanks for linking it Seiler. My concern is that I have an ARB in the front and I don't have a case spreader. So I guess I'll be bribing someone, somewhere... :D

NP Brad. I wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:

Scott

I replace the inner seal (driver side) on my d30 w/ARB. No spreader needed. Pretty easy job. 2 1/2 hour project.

Yes, you won't need a case spreader. Since you have an air-operated locker though, take special care around the area where the air line enters the housing. other than that it will go exactly the same. If you have any problems getting the carrier out and prying wont make it pop loose, shove a rag in between the ring gear and the pinion and turn the pinion yoke with a bar or a big wrench. that will pop it right out.

it could have been gear oil hanging out in the tube from when they pulled the shafts(if they did pull them...) just a thought before you tear into it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It has leaked everytime I've driven it since the first day I noticed the leak. For now, I'm just keeping an eye on it but I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the seals here very soon.

Thanks again, NAXJA rocks.

:cheers:

Back