• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99XJ Buildup

jwebb85

NAXJA Forum User
Bought this 99 Sport a few weeks ago. It got into a fight with a light pole. Pole went between the frame and wheel. I got it for $995 bucks! 99k miles, no rust, no stains, and a few scratches. Auto with a 242 case.
Jeep018.jpg
[/IMG]
Jeep012.jpg

Here it is getting put back together!
Jeep008.jpg

Jeep003.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeep002.jpg
[/IMG]
Lillian017.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks good. How much you into it for repairs? Do the work yourself, I assume?

About $1500 in it to put it on the road. Then I put the lift on it, $300 used. Was supposed to be a 3". Turns out it was a 6" lift. Full packs, coils, adjustable UCA and LCA, disconnects, RC track bar. Build total $1800.00. I think it's decent for the amount I have in it...

Rear installed.
Jeep015.jpg
[/IMG]
Front and Rear installed.
jeep0161.jpg
[/IMG]
jeep017.jpg
[/IMG]

I think it might need bigger tires??? I was think 33x9.5 on stock wheels. Some guys I know run them on their XJ's and they do very well.

Put some tires on it. Now I need to find 3 more. 2 for passenger side and 1 for a spare. 32x11.5, got them both for $100 in good shape. Good thing there isn't a locker in it so I can move it to the side of garage......Those will come this summer.
Lillian013.jpg

you planning on building or getting a aftermarket front bumper it would be the perfect time , and i could be wrong but in the flex picture it looks like you need longer brake lines

Yeah, a front bumper will be in the works here shortly. I'm going to try my hand at making one. There is a steel company nearby with good prices. I have all the tools to fab one just not a welder. 1/2 mile down the road is a weld shop, I will have them do it.

The brakes lines need to be extended. I straightened the fronts and moved them down. I didn't think it would be enough and it wasn't. Just going to use TJ lines prolly.

UM, sinch you only paid 100...might want to think about getting 33's or 35's. well on second thought:

32= better flex with stock bumps, and better road manors with stock gearing

But wow, awesome deal on the jeep. cant believe the airbags didnt go. I totaled my first XJ ( a 2001 limited.......) when I rear ended someone when the guy in front slammed on his brakes at the bottom of a hill for an fing possum WHEN IT WAS RAINING!! wanted to rebuild the front end and grab some airbags from the junkyard, but my dad didnt want that pile in the driveway :(

airbags are weird though, when I was first learning how to drive, i slid on wet leaves into a telephone pole (in my dads TJ) and the bags didnt go. just needed a new bumper and some body work where the winch pushed into the grille. yeah mud terrains arnt the best in wet conditions :)

Last edited:
Ran into a problem today. I was centering the steering wheel and adjusting the tie rod(terrible toe-in from lift). Something didn't look right with the way the front wheels were. Turns out the LCA axle bracket was bent over. I am new to jeeps and when I put the lift in I saw the way it was bent. looked like it was formed that way from the factory, haha. Ordered some new HD lower mounts. Any advice or tips on welding the new ones on?

Back