• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual Battery set ups

Unless you run a big stereo and use it with the engine off, or if you like to travel by yourself in the back country, there's really no need for dual batteries. Nothing wrong with it, if you just want them, but no need for them.

Unless you run a big stereo and use it with the engine off, or if you like to travel by yourself in the back country, there's really no need for dual batteries. Nothing wrong with it, if you just want them, but no need for them.
I agree. I wouldn't have gotten my setup if I wasn't running a fridge for extended camping trips. After killing my battery overnight in my driveway testing, I knew I wouldn't want that to happen far from town! :rof:

well how about this, ill just explain why i would like to have a DB set up:

Sometimes when i camp in the dessert, i sleep in the back of my XJ. and sometimes it gets so damn cold, i was thinking about running a small electric heater, rather than keep the jeep on.

Also, it always nice having spare power.

well how about this, ill just explain why i would like to have a DB set up:

Sometimes when i camp in the dessert, i sleep in the back of my XJ. and sometimes it gets so damn cold, i was thinking about running a small electric heater, rather than keep the jeep on.

Also, it always nice having spare power.
I think you should be able to run a 12v blanket and a better deep cycle/starting battery just fine without the need for a dual battery. Just a thought...

I think you should be able to run a 12v blanket and a better deep cycle/starting battery just fine without the need for a dual battery. Just a thought...
im sure that possible, but i like knowing i have isolated power just in case, rather than going on the fact that it "IS" a possibly for the single battery to die. kinda like a burglar in your house, i know one shot should be good, but believe at least 2 are fallowing that first one :gonnablow

You could also look into isolators. I think there may be an option that disconnects the battery from your car once it reaches a certain voltage. It allows you to run everything from the main battery without fear of running it dead.

You could also look into isolators. I think there may be an option that disconnects the battery from your car once it reaches a certain voltage. It allows you to run everything from the main battery without fear of running it dead.

not familiar with an isolators, but i am taking in that once the battery drops to a certain level, it shuts off the draw?

Wow. I gotta look into to that. I have killed my battery numerous times camping from running different crap off my Jeep. I woluld love to have that little extra security. My security right now is a spare fully charged battery I have strapped into the back as a back up. I would much prefer to run an isolator then lug an extra heavy battery around.

Yes, my system disconnects from the main battery when it detects less than xxvolts from the charge system. I think there are other systems that will automatically disconnect when your battery reaches a certain low level of charge so that you keep enough juice to start the vehicle. I'd search the Internet for something like it.

i was thinking about just doing something minor, like a knob from a marine set up and 1 deep cycle, one conventional battery?

Yes, that is pretty simple and easy. Isolate it. It just takes up space. You have to purchase a $200 battery, plug the wires and knob...it's a lot to power a $20 blanket.

Stuff exists: I did a quick google search and found these which are similar to what I was talking about...not perfect though:
http://www.noflatbatteries.com/carscampersagriculture.htm

http://www.powerwerx.com/fuse-holders-fuses/automatic-power-off-switch.html

my sole purpose is not only for a heat blanket, but stereo, lights what ever it may be. there are hundreds of things that can be done that makes it nicer to not have the vehicle running, see what i am saying? and like i said, for me, its more food for thought, just knowing i have the extra battery. always sucks having to get a jump.

my sole purpose is not only for a heat blanket, but stereo, lights what ever it may be. there are hundreds of things that can be done that makes it nicer to not have the vehicle running, see what i am saying? and like i said, for me, its more food for thought, just knowing i have the extra battery. always sucks having to get a jump.

Doesn't it suck to come ask a question and then have to justify your position? :bs:

There was just recently a thread about this. Check here for some good info. :)

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1030573

im sure that possible, but i like knowing i have isolated power just in case, rather than going on the fact that it "IS" a possibly for the single battery to die. kinda like a burglar in your house, i know one shot should be good, but believe at least 2 are fallowing that first one :gonnablow

X2

Back