• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I mount a 35" tire on a 8" wide wheel?

Yep. 12.5 on 8 actually works better to help hold the bead.

I might even try a 13.5, but much more than that and I'd start thinking about a 10" rim...

Robert

35x12.5-15's on 15x8 rims. Works great!

DSC_0176.jpg

You don't ever want a 10" wheel, or need a 10" wheel. Well, maybe if you got some 15.5" wide tires......maybe. You pop a bead too often on 10" wide wheels, so stick with 8". Even on beadlocks, you'll pop an inner bead with 10" wheels. We've been through this often, with plenty of folks getting rid of their 10" and going to 8". Recently, one of my very experienced wheeling buddies bought some fairly wide new Pit Bull tires, and since he was also getting new beadlock rims he asked them what width rim he should run and they told him 10" for that tire. Now he has a brand new set of 10" wide Walker Evans beadlocks and he's regularly popping the inner bead. Should have known better.

Stick with 8" wide rims.

dont mean to hijack the thread, but what would be the "narowest" width tire youd mount on an 8" rim? i wanted to try some 33/10.50/15 but i have 8"rims. would a 32/11.50/15 be a better choice? its for a basic trail rig. mild rock crawling. nothing serious.

dont mean to hijack the thread, but what would be the "narowest" width tire youd mount on an 8" rim? i wanted to try some 33/10.50/15 but i have 8"rims. would a 32/11.50/15 be a better choice? its for a basic trail rig. mild rock crawling. nothing serious.
you'll be just fine with either 10.5 or 11.5. before i got my 33's i had 30x9.5 mounted on my 8" wide wheels... and they were fine

Personally, I wouldn't put a 10.5" tire on an 8" rim, I'd use the stock 7" wide rims. The issue is airing down low in sand or snow, you'll risk losing the bead. I'd stick with an 11.5 tire.

Nate has 34x9.50's and we had to go to a 7 inch wheel to get it right. 15x7's on 5x4.5 are in the summit catalog, only place i found them with less backspacing than stock.

I would run that 10.50 on an 8" wheel if you had to, but you're not going to air down very far or you'll start slipping the bead. Once you get junk in it from slipping, it won't seal.

thanks guys, i think i am going to go with the 32/11.50s. allready have the wheels and dont want to invest in new.

Personally, I wouldn't put a 10.5" tire on an 8" rim, I'd use the stock 7" wide rims. The issue is airing down low in sand or snow, you'll risk losing the bead. I'd stick with an 11.5 tire.

x2

I just got a brand new set of 33x10.5's on my Jeep. I wanted less backspacing so I bought new wheels at the same time. While most folks seem to buy aftermarket wheels in the 15x8 variety, I went with 15x7's as I feel they are a better match for my 10.5 KM2's. Wider isn't always better!

thanks guys, i think i am going to go with the 32/11.50s. allready have the wheels and dont want to invest in new.

You might find a 33/12.50 cheaper than a 32/11.50.

Much more popular size. You're only an inch wider (1/2" on center) and an inch taller (1/2" in ride height) with a 33/12.50.

Back