• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

greasable shackles

TmacisN11

NAXJA Forum User
when it is dry out what sounds like a creaking noise from maybe the leaf springs is heard its coming from the back half of my jeep , but when it is wet out the noise isnt there? I am wondering if I need to get new bushings or greasable ones or greasable shackles. I have a 6'' lift.

On the right track maybe.
Could likely be the slip pads (whatever they are called) between each leaf, too.

I would to a little test and when it's squeaking real bad. Take and use a pry bar and pull each leaf end away a little and shoot some WD-40 in there on one side or both.

Sound still there? Shoot the rear leaf eye bushings. Still there? Shoot.... and so on.

my '98 makes so many innocuous noises I don't listen anymore (except u-joint type repetative thumps).

I've got three inch greasable shackles, keep 'em lubed, and full re 11 leaf springs that I've long gave upon lubing. I figure after eight years those slip pads are now just part of the landscape.

There's this stuff called Boeshield, made by Boeing for the plane industry, marine stores somtimes have it it. Expensive, but does what it claims to do, and if you still have the sweeks, trust me, the Boeshield will come in handy in a thousand other applications.

I tried once to pry leaves apart, I must me a girlyman, but couldn't. WD40 washes away easy, maybe tranny fluid or motor oil in a metal oiling can would complete ctorts decent idea.

Back