• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed rebuilt engine, now it wont run

kybray44

NAXJA Forum User
Just got done installing the new engine and tried firing it up for the first time. It fires up but runs really really rough. When giving it gas, nothing changes. Its almost like the timing is off... any ideas?

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Inline 6

I am going with timing issue, Did youtest with a timing gun? real easy to get them 180 degrees out of time. Does it backfire out the intake or exhaust?

is this a new turn key crate engine? how about more info. on the new engine

i agree that it sounds like the dizzy is 180 off.

no backfire, its a rebuilt turnkey. How would i fix the timing issue?
Honestly, if its made by man and not God, it is subject to mistakes. I have done it myself, thought you were at top dead center, and actually on the opposite stroke, and installed the dist. 180 degrees out of time. very common mistake. You say no backfires, that leads me away from timing. Do you have a timing light? did you check timing anyway? Verify that 1st, and then I would go to basics. Fuel, fire, and air, need all three to run, one of the 3 is out of place. Did you call the manufacturer of the engine, and ask tech support? I owuld assumeif it is turnkey, they would have tech support.

So could I essentially plug the first plug and crank it a couple times until I get it close to top dead center and then reinstall the dizzy?

When I crank it over, itll fire up and then idle really rough. If i attempt to give it gas, it bogs down a little and does nothing. When idling it shakes the front end.

When I crank it over, itll fire up and then idle really rough. If i attempt to give it gas, it bogs down a little and does nothing. When idling it shakes the front end.

to check the timing, pull the cap off the distributor. get the 1 cylinder a tdc on the compression stroke and see if the rotor is pointing at the 5 oclock position, which is at the 1 plug wire on the cap

to get the TDC, pull plug #1 rotate teh engine by hand, via teh dmapner pulley, adn a socket. Have a friend hold a finger over the hole. Rotate the engine by hand, and on the up stroke the air willpuch their finger off, when it is coming up to TDC, the timing marks wil line up on the dampner and the timing marks beside the dampner.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4702159_set-timing-engine.html

Here is a generic link on engine timing, withpics to help out what I am trying to say.. :):thumbup:

to get the TDC, pull plug #1 rotate teh engine by hand, via teh dmapner pulley, adn a socket. Have a friend hold a finger over the hole. Rotate the engine by hand, and on the up stroke the air willpuch their finger off, when it is coming up to TDC, the timing marks wil line up on the dampner and the timing marks beside the dampner.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4702159_set-timing-engine.html

Here is a generic link on engine timing, withpics to help out what I am trying to say.. :):thumbup:

good info

just to clarify, the timing mark/groove on the harmionic balance will line up with 0 on the timing scale when at TDC of the compression stroke

how did you install the distributor?...you cant just drop it in and go...check your plug wires as well, i thought my timing was off for the longest time and i had a bad plug wire

injector seated good, I made sure my distributor seated down and then install the bolt through the flange. The wire all look good, no gouges or anything.

how did you install the distributor?...you cant just drop it in and go...check your plug wires as well, i thought my timing was off for the longest time and i had a bad plug wire

turn key engine should of had the dizzy already installed. could have been installed incorrectly though.

also could be wires are in the wrong order.

Back