• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan

96NYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to run the electric fan using a switch by the stock wiring to the fan?

I just checked my fan and the fan works but it does not turn on when it is supposed to, since i dont use AC i would rather run it on a switch to turn it on when i am overheating.

Thanks

The fan circuit uses constant ignition power and switched ground (the fan relay grounds the circuit when commanded by the ECM or when A/C clutch engages). Easiest thing to do is put another relay inline that can ground the circuit when you flip the switch. You can also put an OFF position on the switch by having the relay force the the ground leg open

The fan circuit uses constant ignition power and switched ground (the fan relay grounds the circuit when commanded by the ECM or when A/C clutch engages). Easiest thing to do is put another relay inline that can ground the circuit when you flip the switch. You can also put an OFF position on the switch by having the relay force the the ground leg open

I understand what you are saying, but were would i have to put the relay what wires do i cut? I am terrible at electrical:banghead:

First, check the fan relay and the fan fuse located in the PDC to make sure they are not blown. Next, check the fan relay fuse located in the junction block. It sounds as if one of those may be your issue.

An option for tapping a manual control switch into the factory wiring can be found in the following thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1025399

This requires that the components I suggested checking above are in proper working order. If not, you will have to wire up a secondary fan power circuit. You can use the wiring diagram in the previous post for this secondary circuit, just omit the timer and all related wiring and install a 12V+ switch in it's place. (Unless of course you have a need for the timer...)

Last edited:
Back