• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with dropped cps bolt !!!

edlepp

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 90 xj 4.o with auto and have had some starting issues. figured it down to the cps and tryed to replace. got 1 bolt started but my fat fingers have dropped the other 1 in the bellhousing. I have tried turning the engien over by hand but nothing dropped. i have removed inspection plate and starter as well as all the tourque bolts. turned over again and still nothing. any ideas what else to try before I drop the whole tranny?

Well, get a bright spotlight and check around real carefully, sometimes they aren't where you thought they went.

If you have to pull the trans, you shouldn't have to move it back very much, couple of inches.

i had the bolt in my fingertips when it dropped so odds r thats where it went. have looked and felt every where i can't see but no go. sounded like it dropped about half way down. any tips on how to reach the top bellhousing bolts lol... secondly do you know if there is supposed to be a cover or dust cap on the cps? seems wrong to have that big of a hole up there?

There were dust covers, a long time ago, in a place far, far away.

GROMMET
5300 9045 1 4 Cyl. Eng.

GROMMET
5300 4909 1 6 Cyl. Eng., 1987-89
5300 5129 1 1990

Don't know if they are still available.

Put a jack under the crossmember and pull the two bolts and two nuts on the studs, lower it down and that should give you a little more clearance for the top bolts.

Good luck.

Yeah, I know I'm reviving an old post, but I'm really glad to see that this has happend to someone else and not just me. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the bolt out. I really don't want to drop the tranny as I dont really have the time and knowing my luck I might just make things worse. Also want to try and avoid having to pay a tow truck and a repair place. It was pouring down with rain when I was under my jeep so I just gave up for the day when I dropped it. I will remove the starter tomorrow, but where is this inspection plate that edlepp was talking about? And is there anything else that I could try? I appreciate all the help.

A telescoping magnet and fish around, you should eventually snag it or at least move it. Or, find a kid in the family and give him 5 bucks to get his hands through the inspection hole to feel around for it.

have you tried turning it over by hand? might shake it loose from wherever it's sitting.

The CPS is in a place where I can barely touch, much less probe around with a magnet to retrieve a dropped CPS bolt.
To keep this from happening, I put a piece of masking tape over the bolt holes, on the CPS bracket, and then push the bolts through the tape. This keeps the bolts from falling out while I put the CPS into position and begin to tighten the bolts.

It's pretty easy to reach the cps, just reach up by the front driveshaft and past the bellhousing. Left hand works best, lie with your head behind the tire and your feet toward the back of the jeep.

I've found the easiest way (must use dust shield for this) is to put it in from the top, then go under and put the bolts in from below using a long and semi-flexible assembly of socket extensions. If you jam the bolt head into the socket with a little piece of paper (or use a magnetic socket insert perhaps), you can feed it in from pretty far back without ever having to touch the CPS itself.

When I do the CPS, I remove the front driveshaft bolts that hold the shaft to the front diff and swing the shaft out of the way. Then it is a very easy reach up to the CPS bolts. I can change it out in 10 minutes and grab both bolts with my hands.

So, What I had to do was remove the inspection shield and the starter motor, then was able to use a small magnetic wand to push the bolt up to where the starter motor was and pull it out that way. I couldn't pull it out at the bottom, since the bolt couldn't be maneuvered around the fly wheel. Once we got it out, I had to have my friend with smaller hands/arms install it for me, but it got installed. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my no start woes, but that's for another thread I suppose. thank you guys for all the ideas. I think next time I'll (hopefully its a long way down the road) I'll do the slots in the CPS mount so that way I don't have to take the bolts all the way out. Would have done it tonight, but I was in to big a hurry to get it back installed, I need my car running.

Back