• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center console swap tips.

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
I received my 97+ center console the other day, and hopefully I'll get into it in the next couple days before my vacation. I have read eHall's thread and a couple of others. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and can aid in my install. I have the newer Auto shifter and Park brake handle with the short stock cable. With this cable will the brake itself bolt in or do I need to swap stuff out?
I am not worried about the gap in the front of the console, as I will probably make a small box with switches or an extra 12V adapter plug or something. I guess mostly what type of screws/bolts I should use for the additional "non-bolt in" items. Thanks for your time.

Sounds like you have most of it covered. I did it while I had my seats out and it was easy. I used some self tapping screws to mount the brackets. I built a switch panel to cover the gap at the front. I did some custom stuff with my e brake cables to make them work with my disc brakes using the 97 up bracket where the 3 cables come together. eHalls thread is a good guide.

i used self tapping screws, the ripped out to easilly... im very impressed with my cup holders... as far as the e-brake, i pulled out the entire assembly from the donor XJ, all the way to the rear brakes, and ill tell you now, the ebrake will require minor cutting, and new bolt locations.

and if possible, have a friend there to help you line up the bracket, if drilled wrong, it might be a little sideways, dont worry about the gap difference between the passenger and driver seat.

1 more thing, the rear air tube is shorter than the early model. i personally dont care if any one in the back gets air, so i just covered the main vent... makes things alot easier.

wait, does this mean it is possible to put a tuffy console in my 2000? My Parking brake isnt even connected so im not worried about that....

i used self tapping screws, the ripped out to easilly... im very impressed with my cup holders... as far as the e-brake, i pulled out the entire assembly from the donor XJ, all the way to the rear brakes, and ill tell you now, the ebrake will require minor cutting, and new bolt locations.

and if possible, have a friend there to help you line up the bracket, if drilled wrong, it might be a little sideways, dont worry about the gap difference between the passenger and driver seat.

1 more thing, the rear air tube is shorter than the early model. i personally dont care if any one in the back gets air, so i just covered the main vent... makes things alot easier.
I dont care about the vent crap and I didnt get the one from the new console so I dont care (= And what cutting for the park brake is there?

wait, does this mean it is possible to put a tuffy console in my 2000? My Parking brake isnt even connected so im not worried about that....
Since your brake can be removed, then I believe you could.

Okay, well.. I did it and I only have pics of it installed as there are a few writeups. I used the original park brake handle and just bent it over enough so it will still work/fit. I may or may not swap in the newer one. I also still ahve the original 4WD shifter lever, due to the newer one not being here yet, so I may or may not change that any time soon. SO, here are some pics.

pic.php

<br>
pic.php

<br>
pic.php

<br>
pic.php

<br>
pic.php

<br>
pic.php

<br>
pic.php

<br>
pic.php

<br>
pic.php

<br>
pic.php

I did not use the rear vent tube since there are usually not passengers in the rear. And I did not use the plastic POS rear mount. I feel it fits pretty snug between the seats, it does move a little bit, but I figure if anything I could always just make some small brackets to bolt it from the floor to the console.

I know this thread is a little old but ... can you describe what you had to do to get the ebrake to fit? this is something Im going to do this summer and I need to know what all I need to get while at the junkyard if I need the brake handle and the bracket or will mine work fine just a few alterations... PLEASE let me know thanks in advance!!!

When I swapped it in my 93 I kept the original brake handle and unbolted the front screw moved it over about an inch then drilled and bolted it back in place. Looks fine and still works perfectly well.

I used the newer parking brake handle, I think I had to weld a extension onto the from the mount to pick up the existing hole in the floor. And saw somewhere on here about using a piece of all thread rod to connect the handle to the cables. That's how mine is connected now

I also used the newer heat duct by cutting the front off of the old duct and grafted the new duct to it. Nothing some pop rivets and duct tape can't fix.

I recently grabbed a rocker switch/ power point panel from a newer XJ. That's what I'm going to use to fill in the gap between the dash and the console.

Jet

Back