• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this the ball joint I need?

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
Is this the ball joint that I need for connecting the Tie Rod to the Drag Link? And the Drag Link and Tie Rod to "wheels?"

k3134t_ang.jpg

Huh?

No.

You have 2 balljoints on each side of the front axle. These connect the steering knuckle to the inner C that's welded on the end of the axle tube.

Tie rods and drag links connect to the pitman arm on the steering box, to the steering knuckles and to each other with tie rod ends.

So the parts that connect the Tie Rod and Drag Link to the steering knucles are called tie rod ends? Whatever they are called, on my wife's XJ, all 3 have leaked grease and since I am getting death wobble from time to time, I am replacing everything that looks to emit grease, or is dry rotted.

These parts are what I want to replace:
adcgo7.jpg

Yes, they are all called Tie Rod Ends or TREs. The ones that connect to the knuckles are the "outer" TREs, and the 2 others are the "inner" TREs. Note that you missed circling the on that connects to the pitman arm.

They are indeed Tie Rod Ends, if you need I can pull part numbers for you but if you ask for tie rod ends at a parts store you'll get the right thing. Good choice on the Moogs BTW, probably one of the best brands out there, ask for tie rod ends made by them.

They might not be your problem though. Have someone else turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the TREs, if there is any "slop" in them replace, else you can ignore them for a bit longer.

So all the TRE's are the same size/part number? I count 4 total. Oh, I understand that they might not be the problem, but I think I am dealing with all the "soft" components in the steering/front axle playing a part in my issue. Since my wife wants to keep this XJ forever (it was her late father's), I have been commissioned to "make it all good." Therefore, I am replacing everything "soft" items (i.e. UCA bushings, TRE's, steering stabilizer, and replacing the LCA's which come with new bushings).

When I looked up Tie Rod End on the O'Reilly's website, it looks like it is the same part as I pictured above, but when you call it a TRE, it comes already pressed into the adjustable end of the tie rod. Do I need to replace the entire end, or can I just replace the part that goes through the TRE.
es3094l_ang.jpg

Sorry for so many questions, but this is a new area for me, and I lean on the expertise of all you internet mechanics to help me keep my family safe.

Last edited:
Nope... some of them are going to have left hand threads and the others will have right hand threads.

Kudos on keeping the thing alive, I don't intend to ever get rid of my XJ or MJ. I'll just keep fixing them till they're entirely built from replacement parts.

Nope... some of them are going to have left hand threads and the others will have right hand threads.

Kudos on keeping the thing alive, I don't intend to ever get rid of my XJ or MJ. I'll just keep fixing them till they're entirely built from replacement parts.

So I will need to mark and measure the old ones and make sure the new ones are all set at the same length. I am guessing that the one that connects the drag link to the tie rod is different. Isn't it possible just to get the greasable joint seperately and replace all of those, and not have to replace the entire ends?

Nope... sadly you gotta replace the whole end.

I wouldn't mark and measure them, aligning an XJ is fairly easy. There are two things you can adjust - toe in and wheel centering (drag link length.)

From what it looks like in that picture you will be replacing the TREs on the tie rod (one left hand, one right hand), the drag link itself (can't replace the end on this... sorry) and the TRE at the pitman arm (forget if this is left or right.)

Turn the wheel till you're driving in a straight line, park it. Measure the distance between two points on the fronts of the tires (mark the points.) Measure on the back too. Write the numbers down. Replace all the stuff, use stainless steel cotter pins if you don't like rust. Adjust the new tie rod ends till the measurements are the same. Adjust the adjuster between the pitman arm TRE and the drag link till the steering wheel is centered. Tighten all adjuster clamps, take it for a test drive, if it handles well, double check your measurements and call it a day, if it doesn't, either readjust or pay ~70 bucks for a professional alignment.

Back