• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles!

rex9144

NAXJA Forum User
Im unsure what to do so im asking for a little advice..... i have acess to a hp d30 ford 8.8 combo or a set of d44s out of an 88 waggy. i am having trouble making up my mind on what i want to go with. I will probably never go bigger than 35's (on 33"s now) I just want my money and time well spent, my rig is a dd and im getting a little more serious into wheelin

do we have to pick one combo or another?

44+8.8 would be nice.

44+44 would be an extremely close second, almost a tie.

^if you notice, there is no 30 in the equation.

ya i want to ditch the 30 ive just noticed alot of ppl seem to run it with just an upgraded rear, and the axles are pretty much a package deal, also i was just considering the hp30 because it is a simple swap from my lp30

8.8 and 44 if you can make that happen. Put alloy axles in the D30 it wil be ok if you just go from low to high pinion.

Im unsure what to do so im asking for a little advice..... i have acess to a hp d30 ford 8.8 combo or a set of d44s out of an 88 waggy. i am having trouble making up my mind on what i want to go with. I will probably never go bigger than 35's (on 33"s now) I just want my money and time well spent, my rig is a dd and im getting a little more serious into wheelin

Save yourself a whole lot of work and trouble and go with the d30 and 8.8 combo. If you are never going bigger than 35s and are just getting into wheeling, a dana 30 should hold up just fine to all the abuse you can throw at it.

I have a D44 rear from a Scout w/ an Aussie and a hp30 up front with a Lockright with 35" MTs. Besides the usual maintenance things (ball joints, unit bearings, etc.) not a single thing has broken on it, and I wheel the thing hard.

That being said, I have a friend that built a front waggy 44 and is only running 33s. That is just plain overkill, IMHO. Maybe I just like keeping things too simple and you may disagree. There have been a lot of threads on here comparing the waggy 44 and hp30, so I don't mean to turn it into a debate on which one is better, but from the description you have given, it seems to me that you would get by just fine with a simple hp30 swap.

Good luck.

Back