• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Store fluids underhood?

smiler82

NAXJA Forum User
My 2001 is mostly stock while I put together various 'bail out' items. Currently working on changing the intake and getting rid of the stock airbox. I''ve seen others use that space for a second battery, but I'm thinking of building a storage box there. Question is: Will underhood heat be a problem if I store spare fuids in that spot? I ask this about the containers, not the fluids themselves obviously...

my 96 Chevy p/u came with a storage box under the hood........ it would probably be a good fit in place of the xj airbox.

I usually carry more than will fit in that space but yeah, seems like an idea to me.

Another spot to consider - you could probably stash an entire case worth of 1qt oil bottles behind the front bumper if you could find a way to get them in there.

EDIT: vvv yeah, I keep a smallish plastic funnel next to the airbox and ECU. vvv

Last edited:
No trouble. I usually keep a quart or two of Dexron under the hood - since it can be used pretty much anywhere that oil goes (engine oil/transmission fluid/transfer case/axles/power steering) in a pinch. This simplifies things.

There's also a clean-ish rag tucked into the corner where I keep the fluids - makes it easier to check the dipsticks, since most filling stations don't have paper towels around here, and I can't always use a shirttail...

Back