• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dist cap firing order

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at the #1 on the cap and looking at the picture in the book, they don't match up.

Which one should I go by?

mms_picture16.jpg

Here is a pic of how it sits and where the 1 is. Just need to know if I should go by that 1 or the 1 in the Chiltons.

Always, always ignore chiltons... throw that manual out and get a real one.

I have always just replaced one wire at a time to avoid having to worry about this, but the order is 1-5-3-4-2-6 (#1 is at the front of the block.)

Firing order is usually either cast into the top of the intake manifold somewhere or stamped into/printed on the valve cover.

I'd have to check when I get home, but I thought the firing order was 1-5-3-6-2-4. Check your intake manifold.

Wow. I guess the post from Joe I found when I searched to verify was wrong... either that or I slydexia'd it.

EDIT: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244799615&highlight=young#post244799615 - looks like he corrected it further down in the thread and I didn't notice :eek:

From now on, I guess I'll just remember the "too young, too old, just right" line as well as that each pair is divisible by 3.

I know that number better than my Social Security Number.
Every 6 cylinder vehicle I've ever owned has had the same order.
My first truck, 64 Chevy Stepside, 292 emblazoned into my young brain.

It's the short term memory I have trouble with.

This is how it is on my 97....

distcap.jpg

Wow. I guess the post from Joe I found when I searched to verify was wrong... either that or I slydexia'd it.

EDIT: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244799615&highlight=young#post244799615 - looks like he corrected it further down in the thread and I didn't notice :eek:

From now on, I guess I'll just remember the "too young, too old, just right" line as well as that each pair is divisible by 3.

I have an excuse! I have Oldsheimers--that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! :confused1

Appreciate the info and the number markings on it =)

I was going to do them one by one, but had the plugs taken out to help in the harmonic balancer install... that was one pita to do.

A friend of mine asked me a few years ago to throw a set of plugs, wires, cap & rotor on his wife's 92 XJ. When I pulled into his yard, it was just starting to drizzle, and he had no room to get it under cover. The look on his face when I yanked out all 6 wires and threw them on the ground was priceless.

"I really hope you know where those came from...."

It started right up after the replacements.

Got it all in finally!

However, now when driving, it seems to have trouble shifting gears at around 2000rpm going about 30mph, just seems to take a little extra.

I did have some difficulty getting the #1 spark plug onto the plug in the block...

Or maybe check the tranny fluid?

Got it all in finally!

However, now when driving, it seems to have trouble shifting gears at around 2000rpm going about 30mph, just seems to take a little extra.

I did have some difficulty getting the #1 spark plug onto the plug in the block...

SMACKDOWN TIME--just kidding! Year? A**uming auto trans?

TPS, TB pressure cable?

89 auto. 145k miles.

Didn't really have the problem before...fresh plugs/wires/cap/rotor and recent oil change.

New water pump, harmonic balancer, t-stat, 2row radiator, cooling hoses, air filter...

FYI, the FSM is actually misleading as well. I seem to recall the Haynes manual being clearer on the firing order of the distributor the last time I got into that pickle. The FSM shows #1 being where #4 is.

Of course, i've been through resetting my timing and a full tune up within the last month's time frame, so I can pretty much point out the firing order of the distributor with my eyes closed by now lol.

Having never owned an XJ or MJ with an auto, this is a guess but, check your vacuum line to the modulator. Make sure no vacuum lines got pulled loose with your under hood bungling....

Got it all in finally!

Having never owned an XJ or MJ with an auto, this is a guess but, check your vacuum line to the modulator. Make sure no vacuum lines got pulled loose with your under hood bungling....

No vacuum modulator on the AW4 for any year.

It is an electronically controlled transmission with a throttle pressure cable, TPS, NSS (not just a neutral safety switch), TCU, solenoids, but no vacuum.

Not a bad point, for other rigs--I was always tearing up the line or having the modulators fail on my Ford C-6s.

Thanks for that info. Learn somethin' new every day.

Back