• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What brand unit bearing to buy?

robsjeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market again for a set of unit bearings for my front axle. I was wondering what you guys think are the highest quality/longest lasting brand to buy. I think it's either Timken or National. The National one is about $20 more and I was wondering if that is because it's a better unit or not. I just don't want to waste money for no reason on the National if it's the same quality or not as good in first place.

Timken is the one most people choose and have good luck with.

I work at Applied Industrial Technologies, all we do is bearings and seals- go with Timken, better materials and forging processes than National... trust me.

Well I have bought units with Timken bearings, and units with other brands..they have all lasted about a year or two with big tires and lots of wheeling. so I just buy off ebay and pay about $40.00 each shipped. they last just as long as any of the hi dollar units I have bought and they are good units. in my experience if you have larger than stock tires and off road a lot like I do they will get water, mud,dirt,dust,sand,grit you name it in the unit and it will fail in about a year or two.if you don't off road much then they will most likely last a several years.no matter what brand.

I work at Applied Industrial Technologies, all we do is bearings and seals- go with Timken, better materials and forging processes than National... trust me.
That's what I've always thought but was wondering why the higher price. I'm not interested in the $40 shipped idea just for peace of mind. I have been thinking about what if I drilled and tapped in a zerk fitting so I can at least get some fresh grease in there once in awhile, maybe that might help them last longer but never got up the nerve to actually try it. I go through a set every year or two also with 35's and lots of wheeling on black trails.

Back