• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gross Polluter ... ;(

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
So just installed a Catalytic converter yesterday as i did not have one, got it up to temp and ran it hot to the smog check and it failed CO and HC.

15 mph
HC
Measured 121
Max 123

CO
Measured 1.87
Max 0.73

NO
Measured 13
Max 711

25 mph
HC
Measured 129
Max 103

CO
Measured 2.27
Max 0.93
Gross Polluter 2.23

NO
Measured 23
Max 613

The guy said probably O2 sensor, the one i have is one year old when i smogged it last. Do O2 sensors go bad this quick?

if i remember correctly it was from Kragen and it was a bosh. I am also running mustang injectors 19lbs.

Have you noticed a big improvement in power or drop in fuel economy with the mustang injectors? Was that an easy swap?

when my 90 failed smog last time i replaced the o2 and the MAP sensor and it passed with flying colors after that

Maybe the cat needs more time on the jeep to burn in properly. Check the other stuff and give the cat a few days worth of driving then take it in and get a pre test done that way you can rule out the cat.

Maybe the cat needs more time on the jeep to burn in properly. Check the other stuff and give the cat a few days worth of driving then take it in and get a pre test done that way you can rule out the cat.

Maybe, Right now the jeep is a weekend vehicle. so it really does not get driven much right now. Ill throw a new O2 and MAP even though both are only a year old, let it idle for a while and drive it around town. I would drive it to work but the steering is pretty bad right now and 100 miles on the freeways does not sound fun.

If you're running the mustang injectors with a stock engine, you could be running it rich and have already killed your o2 yeah.

generally speaking i put in a new bosch o2 every time i smog an xj. it makes that much difference. :/ it also makes them run a little better and improves economy.

19lb injectors should be alright. Did you O2 sensor have a warranty?

19lb injectors should be alright. Did you O2 sensor have a warranty?
yea it was a one year, so i am past it... lol

I went and bought a new bosh O2 and MAP so i will thorw it on and see what happens in a few days.

I was going to do it today but my volkswagen was sounding rough on the way home last night so i ended up spending the morning doing transmission fluid and engine oil. (Driving 100+ miles a day you dont relize how fast you get to 6,000 miles)
So the jeep will have to wait for a few more days.

yea it was a one year, so i am past it... lol

I went and bought a new bosh O2 and MAP so i will thorw it on and see what happens in a few days.

I was going to do it today but my volkswagen was sounding rough on the way home last night so i ended up spending the morning doing transmission fluid and engine oil. (Driving 100+ miles a day you dont relize how fast you get to 6,000 miles)
So the jeep will have to wait for a few more days.

It does, Living in the HD deiving to corona 3-4 times a week and a bi weekly trip to Vegas and Pismo adds up FAST...

only $390 to register the jeep if you include smog and parts. I really hate California!!! To damn expensive to live in... All that for a vehicle that will sit in the garage the majority of the time.

I know it already passed, but as mentioned, those Mustang injectors could be the real culprit. If thats not a stroker I think I would ditch them for some oem's. The numbers all scream RICH to me. Also, never skip on a fresh oil change before a smog check. HC's build up in the motor oil and can have a pretty negative effect on your numbers.

Back