• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment?

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at getting an alignment in the Wifes 98 DD Today. She currently has her smaller 235/70's on it. We will be putting a set of 32 x 11.5 MTR's on it soon. Do you think it would be better to get the alignment with the close to stock wheels or the 32's? Don't get alignments much. Thanks.

Will it be getting lifted when you put the 32s on or is it already lifted? Tires shouldn't make a big difference, but I'd imagine it would be best to do it however it will be driven down the road.

Do the alignment with the new tires,size effects the toe angle.

I've always wondered about that. So the angle changes but the ratio of the front to back measurement stays the same? Like toed in an 1/8 no matter what sized tire?

Think about it this way.

/ \
Well my drawing didn't work,but the longer the lines, the more toe-in

Last edited:
I doubt that tire size will affect toe angle. Larger diameter tires *WILL* affect total toe measurements at the tread, though, that's a simple matter of geometry. 1/4" of toe-in with 32" tires is different than with 235/70R15 (roughly 28") tires.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated. I have built a few jeeps, but none for the road, so I never took one in. I will be waiting for the new tires later this week than.

the alignment machine isn't going to care what size tires you have on it because the operation of the alignment machine is only dependent on the wheel size. you need to have all of the same backspacing/size wheels to properly align a vehicle. i understand that if you're measuring toe at the tread vs. using an alignment machine there would be some discrepencies. but it IS a jeep, and jeeps aren't really all that picky about how they're aligned (concerning tire wear), other than toe, which in my experience, if you have at least 1/8" you're fine. i would say that up to 1/4" would be perfectly acceptable.

By the way, your avatar gave me a seizure. That's just mind bending.

So it is working pretty good.:D

Just got the line on a free alignment. Gonna be going to a shop this afternoon to get that done, install the SYE, driveshaft, and swap out the adjustable hitch for a drawtite. I think it is almost done.

100_1545.jpg

100_1546.jpg

depends on what machine is aligning, but a lot (at least the one i use) measures toe in degrees, so tire and wheel size have no affect in the readings. if anything its wheel backspacing.

Brought the jeep in last night for the alignment. It was a hunter engineering setup where a sensor is hooked to each rim. I don't know much about these machines, I just let the guy do his magic.:D My toe was off by 1.45" and is now at +.01". The camber and caster were within spec. I will get a printout today and get the official results posted. Sure was nice on the drive home having the steering wheel straight.

Back