• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ seats in an XJ?

Jamescad04

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this or tried it? My brother just picked up a 97 ZJ and I love the seats in it. They are cloth and feel like a lazy boy. I'm trying to find out if they are a direct swap or if I have to modify it at all or if they will even fit. I have a 96 XJ auto. Any input on this would be much appreciated. I read through a bunch of posts about junkyard upgrade but didn't see anything about the seats.

The front seats are pretty straight forward.

The rear seats on the other hand are a bit more complicated. It took me most of the day to get them right. I can take some pictures and give some gerneral information on what needs to be done if you like, just let me know.

I do have to say I love my WJ seats and really like the 60 / 40 split rear seat.

But what about 89 xj i want new seat too.

Not a direct bolt in by any means. You'll have to fab adapters. I paid a local guy to weld some up for me.

The rear seats on the other hand are a bit more complicated. It took me most of the day to get them right. I can take some pictures and give some gerneral information on what needs to be done if you like, just let me know.

I do have to say I love my WJ seats and really like the 60 / 40 split rear seat.
do the 60/40 rear seats fold completely flat like the stokers do?

pics?

I would love to see what you did for the rear seats I am to picky to just do the front seats and I liked that 60 40 split also. Do WJ seats mount the same as ZJ seats only reason I ask is more then likely I am going to pull em from a junkyard and I always see way more zj's then wj's.

Please do!! Would love to see it!

Ok so let me give this a shot.

Here is an over view of the seats.

Seats002.jpg

Here are the seat backs.

Seats014.jpg

Folded flat. Now the seats sit about an 1" higher.

Seats006.jpg

Here is the bracket between the 2 seat backs. I had to mount it back wards, shorten it by an inch and weld in a new rod. Also on either side where the outside seat brackets bolt to the floor you will need to remove 2 sheet metal pieces in order for them to sit flat.

Seats007.jpg

The seat fabric was held on with plastic push tabs. After I cut the seat bottom to fit the xj's wheel well I drilled holes so that I could hold the fabic in place.

Seats011.jpg

I had to move the bottom seat support forward about an inch. Here is a shot of the new seat support with the seat hinges.

Seats010.jpg

All in all I love the new seats. I can't wait until I can do it to my wifes 2000 XJ.

Wow dude thanks for those pics that helps out a lot. Now I just have to decide if I want to try and tackle all of that I may if I can find a great set seats.

So when you took the seats from the doner jeep you took all of the mounting hardware also? (ie that baracket with the pin you had to turn backwards)

Also did you have to do anything to the sidewalls of the xj where to original upper portion of the seat clips in?

how is the leg room with that rear seat? I want to upgrade mine, but its not worth it to me if legroom doesnt at least stay the same. As it is no one likes to sit drivers rear.
Thanks for posting pictures, Ive hear of this being done, but never seen it.

Yeah, the backseat in the four-door is pretty useless if you're over 5 ft tall.

Are the two-doors any better? Never sat in the back of one.

So when you took the seats from the doner jeep you took all of the mounting hardware also? (ie that baracket with the pin you had to turn backwards)

I took everything and used everything. I even took the seat belts to replace my 20 yr old ones. Don't forget the little hook bracket that latches the seat down.

Jamescad04 said:
Also did you have to do anything to the sidewalls of the xj where to original upper portion of the seat clips in?

You don't have to trim the upper ones, but the lower hinge brackets you trim becasue the handle to fold the seats is right there.

Lightfoot
how is the leg room with that rear seat? I want to upgrade mine, but its not worth it to me if legroom doesnt at least stay the same. As it is no one likes to sit drivers rear.
Thanks for posting pictures, Ive hear of this being done, but never seen it.

You will loose about 1" or 2" of leg room in the back seat. That is not a big deal for me since I don't haul any adults in the back seat.

One thing though you do sit higher.

i put 97 ZJ seats in my 92, i just made a bracket out of some angle iron for the front of the seats and the back brackets just bolted through the floor. i had to hammer some of the ttransmission tunnel flat to allow the seat to sit center on the stearing wheel, otherwise i would have been shifted closer to the door by about 2 inches. The passenger side was more straight forward. I havent got the back seats in yet. here is a pic of the drivers side bracket....

302mbut.jpg

This is turning out to be a very useful thread with people adding all of there information in here about there experience with the seats. Thanks to everyone adding there pics and experience with the swap. I know I am going to be able to use all of it and I'm sure there are plenty more out there that will find great use in this thread too.

As for the back seat sitting slightly HIGHER...that wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm 6' tall and the problem ain't a lack of headroom. It's the fact that when you sit in back, your knees wanna make friendly contact with your chin.

Back