• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little help changing my T-case

flash2pablo

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of changing my Transfer Case, but am having a little difficulty.
I have everything off, except for the three of the last remaining nuts that connect the transfer case to the transmission. I am having a very hard time trying to get the three nuts that are on the top half of the transfer case off.

Does anyone know where would be the best place to get some kind of tool to help get these off or maybe another approach.

I have already lowered the transmission and t-case about 2-3 inches to try adn get some room for a box end wrench.

Please help......

A "starter" wrench works perfectly!

Last edited:
I prefer gear wrenches and dropping it really low!

dude i ended up using the shortest wrench i could find i believe a 9/16" wrench did it for me/.

I just took a cheap wrench and cut it down with the ol chopsaw to make it a box ended stubby. A little grunting and it should come off just fine.

Thanks guys, I ended up going and buying a set up stubby wrench's. They worked great.

The only problem now is to get one of the nuts off. It acted like a bolt and unscrewed from the transfer case instead of the nut coming off the bolt. But the bolt is too long to come out.
I think i am going to have to sawzall it off.....Unless there is a better idea?

PBen

flash2pablo said:
Thanks guys, I ended up going and buying a set up stubby wrench's. They worked great.

The only problem now is to get one of the nuts off. It acted like a bolt and unscrewed from the transfer case instead of the nut coming off the bolt. But the bolt is too long to come out.

PBen
I have pulled many tcases from parts jeeps. I always have at least one do that.

Where does the vaccum hose attach too off the transfer case. I pulled my old transfer case and it wasn't attached to anything.
It was my guess that it is supposed to be connected somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.....It might have played into the failure of the old T-case.........Don't want that to happen again. :confused1

I am not sure where it goes but it tells your 4x4 indicator light on the dash which setting it is in (although could be just a vent tube) :) .... I dont think it would mess anything up not being connected.

Last edited:
flash2pablo said:

PBen

Maybe grab the stud with vice grips and get the nut off the stud. You'll need to replace it becuase the threads will be eaten, but with vice grips and some PB Blaster it should be work.

You guys are making the stud thing too hard. Undo all the other nuts. Wiggle the tcase away from the tranny a bit, then unscrew the stud some and keep repeating the process until the stud comes out.

flash2pablo said:
Where does the vaccum hose attach too off the transfer case. I pulled my old transfer case and it wasn't attached to anything.
It was my guess that it is supposed to be connected somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.....It might have played into the failure of the old T-case.........Don't want that to happen again. :confused1
Which tcase? What year?

I have the T-case off now. I am jsut going to have to cut the stud off.

It is a 96 cherokee, with AX15 Transmission, and NP231 T-case.

Back