• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

erratic idle...

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
88 cherokee chief 4.0

when i start the engine the tach goes up to 2-3000 then about ten seconds later the idle comes back down and usualy settles on about 1500... any ideas what to look for? not sure thanks

Check for vacuum leaks. Make sure everything is tight and nothing is cracked/damaged. Also, try searching for related threads. This is a common problem it seems. A lot has been said already on how to remedy this problem, so I won't bother to go into too much depth. You should find what your looking for.

Sand

Last edited:
xjwisconsin said:
88 cherokee chief 4.0

when i start the engine the tach goes up to 2-3000 then about ten seconds later the idle comes back down and usualy settles on about 1500... any ideas what to look for? not sure thanks
i have the exact same problem as you... sounds like you are describing my rig. i still dont know whats wrong with it.. hopefully you find out. i have a 90 4.0L

Back