• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Receiver and Brush guard

solomaster278

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and I want to know if their is a way to install a Front receiver hitch and a Manik brush guard. thankyou all for the help.

Don't piecemeal it together, http://www.jcroffroad.com sells a complete front bumper, brush guard and receiver hitch with the correct mounting setup. Much more elegant solution then cutting a hole in your air dam and mounting a just for looks overpriced manik that will fold with the first bird you hit let alone a deer.

i beg to differ, i have a manik brush guard, BEST INVESTMENT ive hit deer, cars, and pulled someone out with it. EX i crushed a cars door when all that ahppend to my car was a simple scratch on the manik grille guard. Manik is alittle pricey but your getting a great bar that looks real sick as well , gives your truck a real mean look.

One of my student's mom has an xj with a Manik on it. She has hit several deer with the thing. It's all bent up. I just checked Quadratec and all their grille guards are $350 ish. you can get a LOT of bumper from JCR for that. It's stronger and has a "you damage it we replace it" warranty. Manik, Westin, Warn do not offer that on their grille guards IMHO Grille guard=show with some level of protection from critters. A Custom bumper will save your jeep (maybe your behind too) in a significant accident. After managing bodyshops for 8 years I've seen this first hand. Lots of Grilleguards in the scrap metal bin!
my .02 FWIW YMMV

sigh sack said:
i beg to differ, i have a manik brush guard, BEST INVESTMENT ive hit deer, cars, and pulled someone out with it. EX i crushed a cars door when all that ahppend to my car was a simple scratch on the manik grille guard. Manik is alittle pricey but your getting a great bar that looks real sick as well , gives your truck a real mean look.

your wrong any guard is gay.

ZachMan said:
your wrong any guard is gay.

we don't say something is "gay" around here, if it's a worthless piece of crap, we call it French:spin1:

Had a MANIK guard on my 89. It was a POS. If you say you pulled someone with it either you are lying or they were not stuck. It did kept a couple deer out of my radiator so I could get home, but thats about it. It is by NO MEANS meant to protect anything, its for looks only.

Honest to God true story. Guy in a fullsize truck stopped in to talk about building him a custom bumper using his guard. I said, "nope-sorry" cause that guard would still fail when push came to shove. He grabbed ahold of it and told me he's hit plenty with it and it never failed..blah blah blah.

Fast forward one week, he's back and his guard is pushed back into the hood, fender, busted grille, busted headlamp, bent up bumper. Hit a deer going about 60 and his $500 deductible could have been spent on a custom bumper/guard in the first place nearly paid for it.

I've hit plenty of deer living out in the sticks most of my life, probably somewhere around 15-18 most of which were at highway speed. To date the total damage was $30 for a new headlight and bezel. Well that's not including the late night powerwashing it took to get the "stuff" out from underneath. Blech.

solomaster278 said:
I have a 2000 XJ and I want to know if their is a way to install a Front receiver hitch and a Manik brush guard. thankyou all for the help.
The DrawTite front receiver hitch mounts under the frame using the swaybar bolts and the bolt hole right in front of the swaybar bolts and comes out just under the bumper. I dont know how the Manik bolts up. The Smittybilt bolts to the bumper using two of the existing holes and drilling two more Heres a pic of a Smittybilt bolted up with a DrawTite under it.
DSCF0779.jpg

The brush guard does not give you tow points. The hitch will if attached correctly. So $150 for the guard and another $110-$125 for the front hitch.
JCR cherokee defender front bumper with heavy steel grill guard $325
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1XJDF&Category_Code=XJB

Unless you have your heart set on the manik and front hitch then go for what you want. End result is you have light metal protection in the front, a tow point and you're happy. With the bumper and guard you have heavy steel protection, twin tow points and can get a recevier built into it if you want. Better bang for the buck with the whole bumper setup.
One point, the front tow points are generally for getting pulled with, not for pulling someone else, the reverse cut of the gears and it being used in reverse are not a good combination for pulling with, only for being pulled. If you plan on doing any pulling then rear tow points are in order, either with a bumper w/tow points, rear hitch or the L shaped factory rear tow point if you can still find/get them. I sold mine about 3 years ago after I put on the tomken rear bumper, I pulled alot with it and it was a strong setup.

Big fan of Rigidco....tough as hell, awesome design and tow points are super solid and reciever is tied into frame rails. Of course mine was around $550 shipped.

monkeyevil said:
We just dropped the price on everything for the holidays, so you can get it for $295 :)

WHAT !?!?!?!?..... I'm trying to be cheap till I get back to work and can afford the stage 3 I want for my 98, how long is that sale going on...

Back