• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

very light headed and confused (gas problem)

rustynuts

NAXJA Forum User
i fill up my jeep....didnt over-do it, i make it all the way to class, about a 45 min ride, which is where i am now...the whole time i smelled a strong scent of gas. i spilled some gear oil on my rhino'd floorboards a while back and it's been stinkin when the floorboard gets hot...so i just kinda played it off. it started getting worse, and a woman in the lane beside me tells me my jeep's leaking gas. i stop at a gas station and cut it off, and theres a puddle about 8" in diameter from it. what could this be? is this dangerous? i need to make it home!

Depends on where the leak is. If it is from the tank, perhaps a rust hole or the like, or even from a fuel line underneath, it's more annoying and expensive than dangerous. If it's a fuel line, you could run out of gas fast, though. It's also possible that you overfilled without knowing it, or that very cold gas pumped out on an unseasonably warm day could expand enough to leak from the filler, or find a leak in the filler or top of the tank that never showed up before.

If it's in the engine compartment it is dangerous and you should not drive at all until it's fixed, or you risk an engine fire.

In other words, you really must get under there and find out what's leaking, and judge from that.

it's coming from the passenger side, near the front of the tank it seems... its dripping on my pass. side shock and axle... when i cranked it back up, it didnt leak, i drove about 1/16th of a mile to school and when i parked, there was about 6-10 drops of gas under the vehicle and a small trail, drops every 3-4 ft for about 12ft and beyond that i didn't see any. i think it may just be leaking when i press the gas.

other than this problem, the only other somewhat related is when i'm low on gas (1/4 tank or less) and make a turn it'll stall for a second or cut off.

man i sure feel woosy.

What year jeep are we talking here? If it's 97 or newer, the stalling with less than a quarter tank of gas is a known problem with them. I believe the 97's were recalled, but the 98-01's were not even know they have the same damn parts and the same damn problem.

And where in charlotte are you?

Mine had a problem with this, but it was usually the lockring on the in-tank fuel sending unit backing off. It was a pain in the ass, but I just had to lower the tank and crank it down tight again. It was happening so much that I finally tightened it down and epoxied it in place. Didn't happen anymore after that.

my xj's a 99... ive heard about other people have similar issues. i live about 10-15 mins from the charlotte douglas intnl airport, in a little town called mount holly. it's really close to charlotte.

anyhow, after making it home last night, breaking out on my face/hands/etc from the fumes i guess... this morning i walk outside and the first thing i smell is gas. i cranked it, no drops. shifted thru d, r, etc.... no drops. gave a little rev, no drops. i'm beginning to think maybe this is the return line? if it were the sending line, wouldnt it be leaking non stop?

oh any by the way 99xjsport06, i have trails behind my house. you're welcome to ride anytime.

rustynuts said:
my xj's a 99... ive heard about other people have similar issues. i live about 10-15 mins from the charlotte douglas intnl airport, in a little town called mount holly. it's really close to charlotte.

anyhow, after making it home last night, breaking out on my face/hands/etc from the fumes i guess... this morning i walk outside and the first thing i smell is gas. i cranked it, no drops. shifted thru d, r, etc.... no drops. gave a little rev, no drops. i'm beginning to think maybe this is the return line? if it were the sending line, wouldnt it be leaking non stop?

oh any by the way 99xjsport06, i have trails behind my house. you're welcome to ride anytime.

It's quite possibly the return line. As you suspect, the sending line should leak as soon as you turn on the ignition, even before you crank.

okay i havent found the problem..... after driving a few times, it stopped doing it nearly as much. now that it's lower on gas, it's not doing it. after driving if i walk to the rear of the jeep i can smell the gas. and i can smell it, only for a min....literally....while im driving down the road. it'll happen at random times. i cant see where any gas has gotten anything wet now, i cant find where it's dried, my exhaust is cut about two foot back from the regular position, directly above the axle... and sometimes it looks like it's spraying out a mist of liquid/moisture. the exhaust pipe has a black looking sut on it...but it doesnt smell like gas.

also, when i have a 1/4 of a tank or lower and go around a curve it will cut out, stall, whatever for a second.

any ideas??

I might take you up on that offer for the wheelin if it's somethin a stock XJ can handle.

As for the stalling, thats normal. It's a design issue in the last generation XJ's. They all do it. I'll bet it only does it in left hand turns correct?

left hand turns, that's correct. its only started doing it recently, and it's kinda getting worse. i hear its the fuel pump that causes that.

im beginning to wonder if it's my exhaust coming into the cab. my exhaust stops just before the gas tank...

i pumped about 5/8 of a tank of gas today....smelled it right after, but i realized that every time i smell it, one of my windows is cracked or down....no matter what speed im going. if my windows are up, i don't really smell anything. but........why would my exhaust smell like gas vapors?

what does your schedule look like for friday? I'll have some free time b/w say 9:15 and 11:30 or so friday morning. If that works for you i'd be more than happy to lend you a hand in trying to solve the problem....before you blow up...lol.

haha....well im working mornings all this week. i go to school @ devry across the street from southpark tues-thurs from 6-9. i dont know where in charlotte you live.... i'm usually off work every day by 2 or 3 at the latest. i'm free friday afternoon, sat afternoon, and all day sunday. do you have aim or yahoo or something?

oh any by the way.......yeah the trail's fun for a stock jeep, theres a lot of places i wouldnt dare venture..... but theres still a few fun placers for a stock vehicle to play and get some flex. if you get stuck i can pull you out anyway...

one of my mud holes....for an example.....my buddy with a 00' xj, 8" rock krawler/teraflex lift, hp44/9", detroit rear, high steer, 5.13's, etc.....he cant make it through, he has to go in and reverse out... :]

can anyone give me some ideas? theres soo many people on this forum and i've had like three people try to help. has anyone ever experienced anything like that?

The problem lies with your exhaust, you melted the sending unit O-ring. Don't fill up past half or go through any water. The hot exhaust will melt your spring bushings too. A cheap and easy fix it to just extend your exhaust with a flexible exhaust pipe. good luck

Adam

Back