• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to disable hazard flashers

mrpeepers

NAXJA Forum User
1990 jeep xj

hola,

my hazard switch is broken in the steering column. I cannot turn off the hazards without killing the brake lights as well by pulling the fuse.

is there a relay or switch in the engine compartment that controls hazards I can unplug?

I cant fix the column now and to be honest don't really care about hazards, but i don't want to drive it with hazards on.

thanks

peeprs

What happens when you pull the hazard flasher?

the switch is physically cracked and the flashers are engaged in the steering column. i can't turn them off until I take apart the column or do it electronically.

If you pull the hazard flasher they won't flash anymore, it is separate from the turn signal flasher. Both are located in the fuse block by your left foot when sitting in the driver's seat. Pull the hazard flasher--it should be "clicking" and you can feel it cycling when you touch it. Once it is pulled the hazards will no longer flash NO MATTER what the switch is doing--on, off, broke, missing, gone out for a beer.

Not sure what effect there might be on the light circuit with the hazard flasher removed, you can determine that by simple checking the rest of the lights.

Good luck.

the fuse says flasher / stop. is there a different one? my brake lights stop working if i pull it out. i guess i was hoping there was some relay box under the hood for the hazards exclusively.

I'm done.

Good luck.

If you pull the hazard flasher they won't flash anymore, it is separate from the turn signal flasher. Both are located in the fuse block by your left foot when sitting in the driver's seat. Pull the hazard flasher--it should be "clicking" and you can feel it cycling when you touch it. Once it is pulled the hazards will no longer flash NO MATTER what the switch is doing--on, off, broke, missing, gone out for a beer.

Not sure what effect there might be on the light circuit with the hazard flasher removed, you can determine that by simple checking the rest of the lights.

Good luck.

Read this, do this.^ ^ ^ ^

the fuse says flasher / stop. is there a different one? my brake lights stop working if i pull it out. i guess i was hoping there was some relay box under the hood for the hazards exclusively.

Don't do this. ^ ^ ^

Joe's not talking about a fuse. There should be two small silver cans in opposite corners of the fuse block, about 1" in diameter and 1" tall. If you pull one out, it will have two 1/4" prongs at right angles.

One of them will be labelled "TURN" and one will be "HAZZARD". If they're not labelled, put your finger on each cannister - you'll be able to feel one clicking in time with the lamps. Pull that one. Problem solved (temporarily) - until you score a new hazzard flasher switch.

The turn indicators and hazzard warning flashers use separate flasher modules, so your turn indicators should be unaffected. Your hazzards will not work (again, as Joe mentioned,) so carry flares just in case. Although you should have flares anyhow.

some people are byond help...

duhh... occums razor right...

pretty simple, no signal lights but i can use my arm for that.

thanks.

solved.

WHAT. THE. HELL. I am at a loss for words. :eek:

Good luck.

What we have here is a failure to communicate... on the receiving end.

what no nomination?
Oh there was... it just never got mentioned in this thread, people are getting sloppy.

Back