• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter lockup issues

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj
95 4.0
97 torque converter
96 aw4
97 nss
97 output speed sensor

(everything worked flawlessly in other vehicles)

It was all plug and play, no funky wiring here.

Had a bad torque converter, replaced that.

Now about 50% of the time When i go to drive my torque converter wont lock up and i get a check engine light "#89 trans fault" i pull over, turn the jeep off, restart it and the torque converter will lock up fine until the next time i go to drive it. The cel goes off after a while until the torque converter fails to lockup again.

any ideas?

I don't like the AW4 in my XJ either. Sure it's a strong unit, but it doesn't like to let the engine putter along at 1500rpm. Seems the lowest it'll go is 1750rpm or so. This is on flat roads, no load in it, so it's not like I'd be lugging the engine down. I just find it annoying.

I'm used to driving stick, and like the control. Maybe if I were into rock crawling or extreme trails I'd go with an auto (it'd spend most of the time in first anyway on the technical stuff).

What fluid are you using? Is it DEX II\III or the ATF+4? Maybe a TCU problem?

I don't like the AW4 in my XJ either. Sure it's a strong unit, but it doesn't like to let the engine putter along at 1500rpm. Seems the lowest it'll go is 1750rpm or so. This is on flat roads, no load in it, so it's not like I'd be lugging the engine down. I just find it annoying.

I'm used to driving stick, and like the control. Maybe if I were into rock crawling or extreme trails I'd go with an auto (it'd spend most of the time in first anyway on the technical stuff).

i like the aw4, i dont see how this helps me

What fluid are you using? Is it DEX II\III or the ATF+4? Maybe a TCU problem?

generic dex/merc

i just dont understand how everything worked fine in my last jeep and all of a sudden it decides to hate me.

Back