• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Exhaust manifold

Jesse714

NAXJA Forum User
I got pretty tired of the annoying exhaust leak, so i pulled my intake and exhaust manifold off today (had the day off :) ) and it has a few cracks, nothing that wouldn't be weldable, but i don't have a welder at the moment, and would like to just replace it. I've done a search, and ran into a few guys that have been really happy with the APN header, however i cannot fine it on their website, does anybody have a link, or any recommendations? Also, what about the cheapies on eBay, about 75-100 is pretty good pricing to me, has anybody had any problems?
Thanks

I actually didn't read that thread, thanks for the link, but thats for the HO, and i don't think they are interchangeable between the renix.
Sorry this is my fault, i should have add some info in my first post, i have an 89 XJ, i have read about the flex pipe, and i think i'm going to do that

I just replaced mine ('88 Renix). I found the manifold on autopartwarehouse.com. It was about $90. I haven't been able to test it yet, but it looks good except the EGR tube wouldn't fit. I just ended up cutting a half inch or so out of the middle of it and using some high-temp silicone hose to span the gap. Haven't been able to test that yet either (almost ready to start it though). The auto store guy told me it is used in the same function coming directly from the cat on some cars so it should work.
The reviews for that online store were pretty bad, but my manifold and gasket came with no problems.
You could make that APN header work by adding an EGR bung to it. It would be pretty hard to get it located well enough to use the stock EGR tube, but with the silicone tube it would be easier.
I would recommend replacing the freeze plugs along the side of the block while you're in there. Mine were rusted out and leaking. Brass replacements were only $3/ea x 5.
As for a flex pipe, I used a section of that spiral flex pipe to connect the downpipe to the cat. There are other options out there too, but this was only $8. You should use something to prolong the life of the manifold.

Keep us posted and I'll update this post in a day or so when I fire up the new manifold.

i did the header that joe_peters linked on my 89 i had to change to a ho style intake (i went with a 99 +) all of which was a direct bolt in

Back