• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TrueTrac + Axle Snap = ?

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Since I want to retain the function of my np242... if I were to bust an axle shaft will the shaft take out the truetrac like it would take out a Detroit Locker? Simple question but I don't know the answer

Is the trutrac a full case unit like the detroit full locker? Normally when a shaft breaks it doesn't affect the locker. You would just have to slide the shaft out assuming you are talking about the front axle..

if your planning on putting the true trac in the 30 then dont waste your money, there completley useless in the frt

Interesting opinion, care to explain it ?
they just dont seem to work in the frt like at all, got a few friends who have ran them in the frt, ive even driven there rigs, they just act like a open diff

I drove with a TT in the front for 5 years and never had a problem getting both axles to turn thru an obstacle.
Driving trails with a TruTrac in the front requires the proper gas and brake combination to get the gear biasing to engage in an obstacle.
With that said.... I will admit the TT does not have the same lock up affect as a lunch box locker, ARB or Detroit.
When I started doing more technical obstacles I did finally move up to an ARB locker for the D30.

I like my front Truetrac also. Works great.

On topic: The "problem" about breaking a detroit locker when you snap an axle probably wouldn't happen with a truetrac, due to the way the truetrac works. The function(and the major complaint about) a truetrac is it can only transfer a percentage of available torque from side to side. For example, if one wheel has little traction, and can spin with an application of 50 ft/lb of torque, the other wheel can only get a percentage of the 50 ft/lb, regardless of how much torque is being supplied by the drive shaft. If you broke an axle, the available torque to transfer would drop to effectively zero, since the broken axle would have no load on it.

For those who don't know/never heard; If you snap an axle under really heavy shock loads(say axle bouncing under heavy load) occasionally a detroit locker will grenade due to shock loads being transferred from one dog clutch to the other. Literally tear it apart/blow the carrier up and leave scrap metal.
Edit: Interestingly, I've never heard of a lunch box locker blowing up like that

if your planning on putting the true trac in the 30 then dont waste your money, there completley useless in the frt

By who's standards? Not everyone is as hardcore as you! It is a gear driven limited slip, perfect for a weekend warrior! :rolleyes:

Ran with a buddy who had a TT in the front of a TJ and ran the hardcore trails with it. He flogged that little 4cyl Jeep. I wouldn't recommend it either one, but he had 20 yrs off road experience and it worked for him.

I've got a TruTrac in the front of one of my XJ's with an NP242 - works fine off road on up to moderate level trails - honestly, the risk of body damage holds it back more than the TT. You need to spend a little more time picking a line - it's not the point and shoot ability of a fully locked rig. It's not "useless" but, it's not fully locked.

I've seen 1/2 a dozen front axles snap without harming the TruTrac.

I had to replace the carrier in the 30 to get the 4.10's and i wanted something better than open but yet still highway friendly. The TT seems to fill that bill. The TT is easier on the axels because it is not a locker so snapping an axel might be harder to do. If you did snap one with a TT, it would no longer transfer anything to the good axel so you would no longer have any usefull power in the front. At least that's the way I understand the TT.

On topic: The "problem" about breaking a detroit locker when you snap an axle probably wouldn't happen with a truetrac, due to the way the truetrac works. The function(and the major complaint about) a truetrac is it can only transfer a percentage of available torque from side to side. For example, if one wheel has little traction, and can spin with an application of 50 ft/lb of torque, the other wheel can only get a percentage of the 50 ft/lb, regardless of how much torque is being supplied by the drive shaft. If you broke an axle, the available torque to transfer would drop to effectively zero, since the broken axle would have no load on it.

For those who don't know/never heard; If you snap an axle under really heavy shock loads(say axle bouncing under heavy load) occasionally a detroit locker will grenade due to shock loads being transferred from one dog clutch to the other. Literally tear it apart/blow the carrier up and leave scrap metal.
Edit: Interestingly, I've never heard of a lunch box locker blowing up like that

The TruTrac is a limited slip made by Detriot. Being as it is not a locker, a broken axle should act just like any other limited slip on ice or other one wheel no-traction application, some of the available power would be applied to the wheel with traction (the non-broken side), but unlike a locker, not all of it.

Edit: Except I just found this
4crawler.com said:
TrueTrac differentials require a certain amount of resistance at the ground (i.e. traction) in order to start the torque transfer. A TrueTrac differential may not transfer torque if the spinning wheel is off the ground or on a very slippery surface. If spinning occurs, often a slight application of the brakes, while carefully applying power, will slow the spinning wheel enough to allow the TrueTrac differential to transfer torque to the other wheel.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml
Hmmmm.... Well, I know a trac-loc will work as I stated...

It tough to grenade a limited slip diff because they don't actually lock or unlock, but redistribute distrubute power in a more analog fashion.

Also, the OP mentioned that he has a NP242. Shouldn't affect it at all.

Ron

Last edited:
It is a compromise I am willing to making between fully locked and not if the carrier is stronger, which seems to be the case... I have rarely lifted a tire because I try to pick my lines carefully as I have been open/open the last four years, just looking for a little extra "oomph"

Back