• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solid lift for minimal offroad

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, looking at picking up another xj (2000) and wanted to get some feedback on my lift/tire size. This jeep is going to be used as a DD as well as for fishing and hunting. I do 0 actually wheeling, mostly just forest roads to get into hunting and fishing spots.

I want to run 31" tires so I can keep the stock gearing and not have to do a SYE.

I was thinking 3" OME and 31" BFG KM2's? I want to keep the ride as comfortable as possible (for the wife) and "stock" looking as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions for similar needs? I ran the 3" bds lift with 31" bfg at's on my last 98 but I want to try something new.

Bolt on some 30's and call it good. Your gas mileage wont suffer(much), the ride won't suffer, and you'll have more ground clearance than stock.

Other benefits to this low cost option, are that you will never have issues with vibes, and it will look very much like stock.

Ron

Minimal Offroad, Don't do anything to it. Put a slightly larger tire on it and MAYBE a Budget Boost. No use in going over 2 if you aren't gonna use it.

Let me reiterate. I hunt and need the clearance to get into some areas and by minimal offroad I mean I do 0 actual wheeling. Im offroad alot, but mostly on graded forestry roads. Also, an XJ doesn't look right not lifted ;) My buddy was running 30's on his stock XJ and it looked alright... I found my gas mileage wasn't far off stock when I had the 3" BDS and 31's and this Jeep has 140,000 km's and is probably due for new suspension parts anyways so...

You'll do fine with a 2" lift then. Mine does great on the trail on 31's with a BB. Why would you need clearance on a graded forestry road?

Well, if you need the clearance to get there, then that would be wheeling, even if you are doing it just to get somewhere instead of doing it for the heck of it. We are mixing terms. If you actually did zero wheeling, doing nothing or 30s would be the best option. But you imply stock is too low to get where you want to go. It sounds like you are already kind of set on about 3 inches and 31s...you should do what you want:rof:
We can't really suggest a good height if it needs to be tailored to a certain road you hunt on.

Let me reiterate. I hunt and need the clearance to get into some areas and by minimal offroad I mean I do 0 actual wheeling. Im offroad alot, but mostly on graded forestry roads. Also, an XJ doesn't look right not lifted ;) My buddy was running 30's on his stock XJ and it looked alright... I found my gas mileage wasn't far off stock when I had the 3" BDS and 31's and this Jeep has 140,000 km's and is probably due for new suspension parts anyways so...

def go with a bb and 30's looks good dose well offroad and maintains a decent ride,
I have a 99 at 4.5 and 33" trxus
and a 2000 with a 2" bb and 30" bfs-at and the 30"s are a dream

You don't "need" the clearance that 31"s give over 30"s. The way they size tires, it works out to 1/2 inch or less(some 31's are pretty small) As for need, you can get through all but the toughest parts of the Rubicon with 30"s. One to two inches and 30"s or 3" and 31"s - not much difference other then the way it looks.

With the late model, you SHOULD be ok, vibe-wise, at 3" lift, but you never know until you try.

235/75r15 bfg at's and a front aussie, call er done.

You'll do fine with a 2" lift then. Mine does great on the trail on 31's with a BB. Why would you need clearance on a graded forestry road?
I do the same with mine. The water bars on some of the Forest service roads can be hellacious. The clearance can be needed for sure.

Mine is a 94 se. I opted for the OME 2" HD. Got me 3+ in the rear. Loaded with gear it settle's to about 21/2 to 3" depending on how much food and beverage. Only running 30's. Awesome suspension.

Mine is a 94 se. I opted for the OME 2" HD. Got me 3+ in the rear. Loaded with gear it settle's to about 21/2 to 3" depending on how much food and beverage. Only running 30's. Awesome suspension.

Got pics by chance? I know there are pics of 2" lifts or 3" lifts everywhere, but it's surprising how much the listed vs. actual lift of kits can vary.

Here's what the DPG OME hybrid 4" looks like:

OMEXJsuperUltkit.jpg

That does look really nice. So you can get away with 31's on a BB? On my current rig I have the Rubicon Express bb with the monotube shocks and I don't like the ride at all. I thought I was doing myself a favor by buying the more expensive monotube shocks but they are worse IMO that the BDS shocks I had on my last xj. My buddy has bilsteins and he loves them.

That does look really nice. So you can get away with 31's on a BB? On my current rig I have the Rubicon Express bb with the monotube shocks and I don't like the ride at all. I thought I was doing myself a favor by buying the more expensive monotube shocks but they are worse IMO that the BDS shocks I had on my last xj. My buddy has bilsteins and he loves them.

The DPG 2", 3", 4" lifts are the best ride quality. You have to pay for them, but you wont regret it.

Back