• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody got an OX locker in front? Cable length question

98GhostXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody have an OX locker in front? I HAVE searched for my answer and didn't find it, but I did learn that an OX is a good choice and will be trouble free as long as it is installed right the first time. I am installing one on my D30 and I am looking for examples of shifter locations and what cable length I should use and any tips on installation that will help to provide trouble free operation. Pics are appreciated,

Thanks

Have not done it myself yet, but Most have them attatched to or near their shifter, or lower dash area near column.

I purchased the 78 inch OX cable for the front.

I was getting ancy to get things done, so I put mine here. The center console is a little hacked, but I didn't care. It does get a little tight sometimes depending on where I have the transmission lever, but it works out.

DSC_2499.jpg

I have a '98, and I'm thinking I am gonna put it at the leftside of the e-brake handle, between the handle and the seat, a little back from where you have it. How did you come up with your measurement?

I searched around and saw someones right up saying they used a 78" cable, so I bought a 78" cable.

You mean like this? (My rear OX lever. The hole is wide because that is the old style OX lever, which used a bracket that is sandwiched between the body of the shifter and the top face that has the indents for the shifter, and runs down the side of the lever).
DSC_2501.jpg

Yep that's my plan, but if this is for the rear on yours, I'll still need to know what length cable I would want to get to go from there to the front diff. I'll probably just take a piece of solid wire a route it like I would the cable and then cut it and measure that.

I used the length of cable that they sent me, same as the rear one. I put the shifter just right of the console near the fwd edge of the front seat. Trimmed the console edge and drilled/trimmed a hole in the underbody, routed the cable through straight and then arched it over the tranny to the driver's side, loosely zip-tied it to the edge of the UB near the spot where the LCA used to be and down the long arm. Routed it inside the "C" knuckle of the axle with a worm-style hose clamp holding it in place and then into the mounting hole in the diff. It was a PITA overall.

Back