• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with this stripped screw

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj 6cyl 4.0 l auto trans
the 3 torq screws that hold the air filter big hose to the throttle body one of them are stripped I tried bigger star bits but nothing worked i even tried allen wrenches and I still cant loosen one of them
any ideas on how i can get it out or what steps would any of you take?
thanks in advance!!!!
its appreciated

Have you tried an easy out set?

Make sure you cover any open holes so metal shavings done get in them.

can you cut a slot in it (dremel) and use a flat head screwdriver, or even an impact driver. Might need to grind a lot of the head off first.
welding a nut on the head can work too.

cut a slot in it with a dremel, or a hacksaw if you have to.

if the head breaks in two after you slot it, just grind the rest of the head off and pull the throttle body. there will be enough of the bolt sticking up that you can get a pair of vise grips on it and turn it out.
BTDT.

I have used a hammer and a little chisel before. Just work the screw around by taping the chisel. If you are very careful, it works.

cut a slot in it with a dremel, or a hacksaw if you have to.

if the head breaks in two after you slot it, just grind the rest of the head off and pull the throttle body. there will be enough of the bolt sticking up that you can get a pair of vise grips on it and turn it out.
BTDT.

Yep, cut a slot and use a hand impact driver.

If that doesn't work, pack the throttle body with rags and use a dremel to grind the head off that screw.

If the head stick up enough, you can often get small vise grips to hold it. Get the vise grips good and tight, wiggle back and forth and retighten, and then wiggle back and forth again rather than just turning, to reduce the chance of shearing. Small vise grips usually work better than big for this because they're less likely to pop off the head.

But the Dremel slot is probably all you'll need for this, so try that first if you have the tool.

If the head stick up enough, you can often get small vise grips to hold it. Get the vise grips good and tight, wiggle back and forth and retighten, and then wiggle back and forth again rather than just turning, to reduce the chance of shearing. Small vise grips usually work better than big for this because they're less likely to pop off the head.

But the Dremel slot is probably all you'll need for this, so try that first if you have the tool.

Yeah, the problem with the Renix is they are recessed and you can't get a hold of them.

EDIT: picture of the Renix TB screws http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1029021

Last edited:
Why not make a run to your local junk yard, grab a new one, cut the old one off of your throttle body, and then loosen it with a pair of vise grips? I know it might sound like a waste of money, but i figured you'd be there getting a new bolt anyway!

88 xj 6cyl 4.0 l auto trans
the 3 torq screws that hold the air filter big hose to the throttle body one of them are stripped

I thought from the OP that he was having trouble with the ones that hold the hose to the TB, not the TB to the manifold.

Thats what I read to. If that is the case I agree and have done it before. A good pair of Vise-grips should do the trick.

I thought from the OP that he was having trouble with the ones that hold the hose to the TB, not the TB to the manifold.

yes you are right those are the wrong bolts in the picture but i get the picture i dont have a dremel but maybe i can use this cutting tool i have maybe it will do the trick

thanks again guys

just wanted to update everyone i ended up using the cutting wheel thing to grind the top of the screw off and just like everyone said popped the hose off the tb and vise grips easily took the rest of it out i replaced with a bolt that fit

thanks for the advice it worked great
weather is nice time for a lot more fixing

Back