• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now I've done it

PoSxJ

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a welder today. A Hobart 180 with a 80 cu ft tank. Going to the steel yard tomorrow to pick up some scraps to practice on. I need to fab my RK long arm brackets to work with my JCR sliders, since JCR sent me ones for a TNT LA kit. Then after that comes a rear bumper, and who knows from there. Ah, can't wait.

Here's the thread I started about the long arm brackets and sliders.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1028855

Cool beans!!

That photo looks a little different than I was thinking from our discussion.

I agree, cut off that arm and move it and re-weld at the slider end.

I also would get advice from others about that RK mount for the frame end (before you attach).
I think I would like to see that thing MUCH longer (front to back) maybe you could add some L brackets or U channel to the frame under them that is much longer? This would also provide a better surface to weld them to also.

Michael

The long arm brackets are bolt on. They use weld-in crush sleeves mounting through the frame rails, then also use the 2 stock t-case cross member mounting points. From what I've read on Naxja about the RK 3-link is that no ones had any problems with their gen 2 setup, I've read nothing but good things about it. Some had problems with their earlier weld on setup. But It wouldn't hurt to lengthen the bracket backwards to tie more into the "frame".

The long arm brackets are bolt on. They use weld-in crush sleeves mounting through the frame rails, then also use the 2 stock t-case cross member mounting points. From what I've read on Naxja about the RK 3-link is that no ones had any problems with their gen 2 setup, I've read nothing but good things about it. Some had problems with their earlier weld on setup. But It wouldn't hurt to lengthen the bracket backwards to tie more into the "frame".

I suspect as long as you get the mounts good and tight and can keep them that way you probably won't have too much issue with them. Long term I think I would like to see a little more support. Then again, it may be completely fine the way it is (only time will tell).

Michael

Bought a welder today. A Hobart 180 with a 80 cu ft tank. Going to the steel yard tomorrow to pick up some scraps to practice on. I need to fab my RK long arm brackets to work with my JCR sliders, since JCR sent me ones for a TNT LA kit. Then after that comes a rear bumper, and who knows from there. Ah, can't wait.

Here's the thread I started about the long arm brackets and sliders.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1028855

ummmm.... part or wheeling / building a rig, is actually going out enjoying it. Not just working on it 100%. when are you gonna bring that heep out and play :callme:

look forward to seeing the finished product so we can wheel !

icon10.gif

ummmm.... part or wheeling / building a rig, is actually going out enjoying it. Not just working on it 100%. when are you gonna bring that heep out and play :callme:

icon10.gif

x2. well said rod.

You don't need to lengthen the brackets at all, they are fine. I would still weld them to the frame though, and not worry about the crush sleeves on the passenger side.

icon10.gif

Well, I'm still having problems with my brakes. As soon as I figure them out it will be ready to go wheeling as is. I would like to get the long arm kit on, and maybe the sliders by the 17th, but it's not necessary. And trust me I'm ready to take this thing wheeling, but I want to make sure that it's not going to brake. It's been sitting for 3 years, and I haven't been able to get it above 20mph because I haven't had any brakes. I haven't even put it in 4 wheel drive yet. I have extended brake lines coming on Monday, going to address the brakes then. Don't worry, I plan on taking it to TSF on the 17th. :D

Well, I'm still having problems with my brakes. As soon as I figure them out it will be ready to go wheeling as is. I would like to get the long arm kit on, and maybe the sliders by the 17th, but it's not necessary. And trust me I'm ready to take this thing wheeling, but I want to make sure that it's not going to brake. It's been sitting for 3 years, and I haven't been able to get it above 20mph because I haven't had any brakes. I haven't even put it in 4 wheel drive yet. I have extended brake lines coming on Monday, going to address the brakes then. Don't worry, I plan on taking it to TSF on the 17th. :D
sweet :thumbup:

Did some more practice welding today. Did great, right up until I started playing with the settings. Maybe I'll post some pictures up later. Need to get good enough to fix my sliders.

We had that thing dialed in on Saturday, -give me a call if you need some help setting it back up.

Yeah I know, But I switched to some other steel I found and started messing with the settings and couldn't get them dialed back.

Does it have a settings chart on the inside cover?

That's usually a good place to start, and you can fine tune heat/speed from there.

I bought a H187 back in January, and absolutely love it.

Yes it does. It may have not been the settings, but I was doing good until I changed them.

Here's some pictures of my practice welds. Pics aren't great.

This is before I messed with the settings.

IMG00095-20100408-1242.jpg

This is after I messed with the settings.

IMG00097-20100408-1243.jpg

IMG00096-20100408-1242.jpg

Mother in law owns a sheet metal business. Shoot her the business if anyone ever looking for any metal for bumpers under armor or anything else. It is called C&L metal sales. 503-288-8922 her name is Cindy. If ya call just tell her me(jimmy) is in a group with ya and she will treat ya right. Thank you :)

Back