• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Busted Jeep Suggestions

Wildman89

NAXJA Forum User
Well Wednesday in Calico while running Odessa Canyon i ran into a bit of a problem then the cross member holding my lower long arms and tranny decided to spit the 3 mounting bolts out on the driverside causing the cross member to drop and shift backwards about 3-4 inches tearing the tranny mount and off setting the front housing. was able to use a few bolts from Hollywoods jeep to attempt to re secure the cross member but the bolts holes are stripped (they thread in fine but when tightened they pop and come loose again) so i attempted JB weld to hold the bolts in and it worked.......For about 300 feet and then BOOM came apart again. SO i ratchet strapped the cross member to the sliders and was able to drive it a few miles to calico road where we loaded it on the trailer and got it home. Any suggestions on how to make this a stronger point and good repair? i was thinking of just drilling and re tapping the holes for larger bolts but i'm not sure this is the best thing to do. :dunno:

Oh man that sucks :(. I hope the day went fine otherwise :).

Was it the stock cross member? I know that they sell some aftermarket beefy ones so maybe u could homebrew some beefy one across it maybe the cause of it was too much unibody flex? Not sure how u can put a new one or old one back up.. welding it or welding threads or an insert back into the hole to put the bolt thru..maybe?...

Oh man that sucks :(. I hope the day went fine otherwise :).

Was it the stock cross member? I know that they sell some aftermarket beefy ones so maybe u could homebrew some beefy one across it maybe the cause of it was too much unibody flex? Not sure how u can put a new one or old one back up.. welding it or welding threads or an insert back into the hole to put the bolt thru..maybe?...
No its the cross member that comes with the Tomken Long arm kit.

Plate the frame and use through bolts to secure the crossmember and upgrade the hardware to a larger or alloy bolt and nut set. I'm sure there are other ideas that will work too

The RE long arm kit has "nut strips" that you cut a oval hole in the "frame" rail and slid up in and then bolt to them. I say look at the RE long arm directions/parts list and make something similar.

The RE long arm kit has "nut strips" that you cut a oval hole in the "frame" rail and slid up in and then bolt to them. I say look at the RE long arm directions/parts list and make something similar.

I had one strip years ago... I welded a nut to a piece of strap then fished it into the frame with some semi rigid wire... as you tighten it up it wedges against the inside of the frame... re-taping should work fine also...

Curt

I had one strip years ago... I welded a nut to a piece of strap then fished it into the frame with some semi rigid wire... as you tighten it up it wedges against the inside of the frame... re-taping should work fine also...

Curt

I wouldn't retap it if it were me. Those crossmember holes/studs were designed for stock "grocery" use to hold the transmission in place....not long arm attachment support.

there are access holes on the floor under the carpet, if you have any.

I opened those holes up a gang and ran bolts through. I like the idea of a nut/bolt strip.

I thought i was gonna read something about how the suspension fell apart......nope...cant bust that kit!

Ben tested, Rich approved!

there are access holes on the floor under the carpet, if you have any.

I opened those holes up a gang and ran bolts through. I like the idea of a nut/bolt strip.

I thought i was gonna read something about how the suspension fell apart......nope...cant bust that kit!

Ben tested, Rich approved!

Ben tested, Rich approved![/QUOTE] BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all who replied for you input......

Gettin er all patched up. Its Down at Jeeperjohns Rez. Thanks John!!!!!!!!!

Got it back tonight. Very Big thanks to JeeperJohn for handling the job. Bitchin' work. Also had a set of his motor mounts installed as well. NOW.....I just need a starter. if its not one thing it's another!!!

Back