• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle shafts???

FELIX

Who Knows, Ask Who
Reading some of the post here, & elsewhere, I've read, that you can upgrade the U-joints in the axel shafts to the 297/760 joints. I heard that trucks that had the ABS system, already came w/ these. Is this true for the 93. I checked w/ Autozone, & the have the ABS shafts brand new for $129 a side, no core charge, & lifetime warranty. They also have reman'd axles for $99 + $80 core, w/ lifetime. My ? is, if the 93 ABS axels have the upgraded joints, & will they slide right in??? I'm thinking about getting a set, to use as my primary's, & use the stockers, as a spare to get me home, if I happen to break one, then just exchange it.

Thanks for the clarification

Rob
felix1-ani-av.gif
99-750.gif

FELIX said:
Reading some of the post here, & elsewhere, I've read, that you can upgrade the U-joints in the axel shafts to the 297/760 joints. I heard that trucks that had the ABS system, already came w/ these. Is this true for the 93. I checked w/ Autozone, & the have the ABS shafts brand new for $129 a side, no core charge, & lifetime warranty. They also have reman'd axles for $99 + $80 core, w/ lifetime. My ? is, if the 93 ABS axels have the upgraded joints, & will they slide right in??? I'm thinking about getting a set, to use as my primary's, & use the stockers, as a spare to get me home, if I happen to break one, then just exchange it.

Thanks for the clarification

Rob
felix1-ani-av.gif
99-750.gif

I have a '91 with ABS. My XJ came stock with the 297 joints. I got 165K miles out of the first set of axles and am using a set of TJ axles currently with 760's and c-clips. I keep a spare set loaded with unit bearings when wheeling the rough stuff and a spare set of ball joints........(just a pair)

I'm sure you could use the 260 jointed axles to get you home. I've done it before.

Got it in one, Felix.

I've been running TJ axles, with my old 260 axles as spares in my 94 for the last couple of years. A friend of mine ended up in a bind, so he got the long side 260 axle.

Yes, you certainly can use the 260 as a spare. Remember if you have to install it on the trail that you have a weaker side now.

I just ordered a new set of TJ axles with the 297x (or 760x) u-joints from DriveTrain Direct for use as trail spares.

Hey Thanks for reply's . 1 more ??? would be, how do you tell the joints apart, are they marked, or do you just run a set of calipers on them:confused:

Thanks again

Rob

felix1-ani-av.gif
99-750.gif

Just to let you know, Randy's Ring and Pinion sells the Spicer 760 axles for 200 a pair. That is where I got mine. Just order a set of TJ axles. Order 2 sets and you can even get them a little cheaper.

If you have ABS, you already have 297 joints, all '95 and laters have 297 joints, '94 and olders have 260 joints, but, if your '94 and older has a non-disconnect style axle, you can get the later style shafts with 297 joints, and they will just slide right in. That's what I did, pulled the front shafts out of a '97 TJ, and they slid right in my '94 XJ, and I have my old, stock, 260 jointed shafts as spares.

The 5-260x joint caps are 1 1/16" dia and the 5-297x or 5-760x are 1 3/16" dia (approx...taped, not calipered)

The trunnions may be different size as well :dunno:

TRL WGN 1 said:
Just to let you know, Randy's Ring and Pinion sells the Spicer 760 axles for 200 a pair. That is where I got mine. Just order a set of TJ axles. Order 2 sets and you can even get them a little cheaper.

Ditto that, although the Spicer shafts I have recieved from Randy's always have X-297's, not 760's. I always just ask for '00 shafts though, maybe a different year makes a difference. Buy the Spicer parts, who knows what you would be getting from Autozone.

Back