• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 differences

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm about to swap in a new aw4 since I got water in my fluid. Before I go pull an aw4 for my 98...is the aw4 from 91 to 96 a direct swap?? Thank.

nope!

In fact unless you have access to a machine shop and want to do a full tear down you cannot use it without swapping in the earlier TCU and possibly a manual XJ ECU depending on whether the 98 ECU will be happy talking to a 97 TCU.

You *must* use a 98 or later if you want bolt-up, otherwise you'll have to mill out a mount point on the front left of the housing and install an input speed sensor and the rotor that it gets its signal from, as well as removing and swapping the output speed sensor, 4WD adapter housing, and the output speed sensor's rotor.

no problem. I'm currently going through this, but in the other direction (putting a 99 AW-4 in my 96 this weekend.) lawsoncl on here designed a small circuit that can convert the 98+ OSS signal to work with a 97- TCU, and you can just ignore the ISS doing it this way, but sadly there's no easy way to go the other direction.

Back