• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Stuck in 4WD

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
98 Limited AW4 242 D30/D35.
It seems to be stuck in 4WD. The light goes off and the 4WD lever moves smoothly through all of the 4WD selections. I did a search but I could only find problems where the light is staying on or the lever is stuck. It feels like it's stuck in Part Time because it will not move on a dry street if I turn the steering wheel to full lock and if it does move it hops and lunges horribly. I'm thinking it's the linkage but can't check it till i get off work. Any other ideas?

Well I was messing with it a little while this afternoon trying to get it to go into 2WD. It wasn't working but then there was a horrible shudder driving about 3MPH on my street then a thunderous bang. Now it seems to be in 2WD. I have no idea what happened but it sure didn't sound good.

242 are good at locking. have you tried the basic of shifting to 2wd and backing up a little, sometimes you just need to "shake" the TC. Are your tires all the same size and wear? uneven tires will cause locking. TC linkage may be out of adjustment.

Linkage good? Fluid good? u-joints and all that stuff good as well? Can you get it into full time? neutral? anything? Maybe remove front d-shaft until you figure it out?

Linkage good? Fluid good? u-joints and all that stuff good as well? Can you get it into full time? neutral? anything? Maybe remove front d-shaft until you figure it out?

I haven't checked the linkage or the fluid yet but the handle moves smoothly through each 4WD position and each light comes on the dash board as it does it. When I put the handle in 2WD the light will go off but it isn't actually in 2WD. It appears to be in 2WD now though.

May want to check your hubs/axle end as well. And I know with exploders and other vehicles that have similar 4wd systems, backing up to disengage the hubs.

Well, with the 242, he won't have the axle disco, and I didn't know XJ's came with automatic hubs either. Don't know about newer XJ's, but on my '99, the dash lights are activated by the transfer case, not by the lever or linkage position.

I do know that my 242 will tend to "stick" in 4WD if it's at all "bound up" when shifting to 2WD. Little backing, or driving in "S-shaped" path usually takes care of it. Oh, and always shift back to 2WD before you hit the pavement!

92+ D30s NO disconnect regardless of the transfer case. No XJs with OEM selectable hubs that I know off, but there are conversion kits available. The shifter rod inside the transfer case activates the light switch on all XJs--early D30 disconnect axles also had a vacuum part to the switch the worked in conjunction with a vacuum port on the axle's disconnect motor.

Yes, you could have a bad stub axle and/or axle u-joint problem.

Now, have you considered that the locking bolt in the adjusting trunnion on the upper transfer case shift rod might be loose and you are not really shifting the transfer case?

Remove the t/case shift bezel, pull the lever into the 4lo position, then place a 3mm "shim" (1/8" drill bit) between the lever and the shift gate. Secure the lever/shim in place with a bungee cord, then crawl under the XJ and loosen the lock bolt in the trunnion. Now, move down to the transfer case where the lower shift rod connects to the shifting tab. Using a pry bar or really large pliers move the shifter tab until the transfer case is fully locked into 4lo. Now tighten the locking bolt in the trunnion, remove the bungee cord and shim, replace the bezel, and try shifting the transfer case.

Put it in 2wd Floor it in reverse for 20 feet. Put it back in drive and have and have a nice day.

(I have had 2 242's now they both did this.)

Back