• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Shocks

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
Finally lifting my 2000 XJ in a week or two, just trying to scrounge up the final pieces. Here's what's I'm doing

Front:

OME 3" Medium springs
JKS ACOS
JKS Adj. LCAs
Adj Trackbar (hopefully, still need to buy..otherwise re-drilled for now)

Rear:

RE 3.5" springs
SYE/Dual Cardan DS
Cut off shock mounts on rear axle, flush mount.
Stock rear shocks with crappy extensions for now so I can afford real nice shocks up front first.

does anyone have a 3.5-4" lift that can give me measurements for shocks? I need ride height, extended, and compressed to know if 8" 5150s will work. Otherwise thinking 5100s or OME nitros. Any help is appreciated!

I like my 5100's, I'd recommend them. But if you can run the 5150's and have the cash for them, I'd go for those instead. I can't really help ya on the measurements. You gonna have a work party to put all this stuff on?

I have a pair of brand new 10" travel 7100 shortbodies that would work perfect in the front!

How much? Don't you think 10" is a little big for the front? For the right price i will make them work!

I like my 5100's, I'd recommend them. But if you can run the 5150's and have the cash for them, I'd go for those instead. I can't really help ya on the measurements. You gonna have a work party to put all this stuff on?

I ran 5150s on my 94 and they were awesome. I'm pretty sure they were 10". with my 5.5" lift on that they were spot on. Swapped lifts with Andy so I don't have them anymore because they were bigger than i want to run on this XJ. And yeah work party would be cool, I PMd you on JFC about working on your bumper too

once you have a double shear track bar installed, yes, yuo will be able to run 10-11" shocks up front and use all of them.
I would recommend OME long travel shocks... 11" front 10" rear... I run them on my 2.5" lift with 33's and bumpstops.

once you have a double shear track bar installed, yes, yuo will be able to run 10-11" shocks up front and use all of them.
I would recommend OME long travel shocks... 11" front 10" rear... I run them on my 2.5" lift with 33's and bumpstops.

so you hardly have any positive travel then?

Is it possible to run shocks from a different Jeep that might cost less?

I've heard of people I think using the JK stock shocks for a shorter XJ lift.

I'd like to get Bilsteins for my 3" lift. Just curious if it's possible to buy a cheaper Bilstein shock not originally intended for a Cherokee.

For the amount of lift you will be at since you have ACOS, 10" sounds about right.
8" may work if you use BPE's and upper shock adapters.

thanks Johnnie Walker. I will be using shock adapters for the 5150s, not decided on BPEs yet. I won't be wheeling it right away, so as long as the shocks aren't too long, I can shorten the distance between mounting points with some BPEs on the lower end before flexing it out if the shocks would limit my travel.

thanks Bdiddy for the suggestion on cheaper shocks, I had a set of 5150s on my old setup and am totally sold on them. I am ready to spend the $ on them I just want to make sure I get the right size. I made all my mistakes on the old XJ, I am spending my $ little by little to make this one right the first time and I'm not cheaping out on shocks.

Here's another thing to consider:

I will be putting long arms on it eventually, and I will be running a double sheer track bar, once I build up a D30 with WJ brakes.

For adj, track bar I would check out Ironman4x4fab.com

Back