• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the best OTK steering setup?

XJ_FEVER

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive been reserching and I know I need to do something about my steering. I have an 88 waggy. 6.5" lift on 33's. With stock steering(inverted Y). Now, I can drive down the road at 65mph just fine and without much death wobble at all. Trouble is, Im not getting very good gas milage with only 5 psi in the tires:(. So I have heard of getting wj knuckles and tie rods. My buddy was talking about putting a heim joint on my stok knuckle and run the tie rod to the bottom and the drag link to the top. Can someone please let me know the best "on a budget" way to do this? And maybe post a link of some instructions.

Thanks

I run a crane Hi steer setup, but I believe there is a way to just flip the steering with metal inserts or something.

I just wanted to ask, what does steering have to do with your tires being under-inflated?

tire balance issue

ball joints

alignment

no drilling is got to be iron rock

but JCR ballistic Rustys off road all make one but will require drilling of knuckles

currie makes one as well good for up to 6 inches of lift or so but has stock design

oh i had WJ set up for a while = awesome! semi high steer - drilled for heims and used some 1.25 tube - uber beef

Ive got the rock krawler setup. super beef, and handles well. but now that I have it on I wish I had gone a different way. Its a pain the A to align. and for some reason it interfered with my sway bar mounts on the axles, despite it saying that it did not on the site.

So Ive been reserching and I know I need to do something about my steering. I have an 88 waggy. 6.5" lift on 33's. With stock steering(inverted Y). Now, I can drive down the road at 65mph just fine and without much death wobble at all. Trouble is, Im not getting very good gas milage with only 5 psi in the tires:(. So I have heard of getting wj knuckles and tie rods. My buddy was talking about putting a heim joint on my stok knuckle and run the tie rod to the bottom and the drag link to the top. Can someone please let me know the best "on a budget" way to do this? And maybe post a link of some instructions.

Thanks

I dont know the tech reason but,
35psi in tires= CRAZY death wobble.
5psi in tires=NO death wobble.

dude... you have some serious problems going on besides just your steering linkage! check your joints, bushings, tire balance, and alignment fast and put some air in those tires! :eek: (and search death wobble on here there are dozens upon dozens of possible causes and solutions)

What lift do you have? You don't still have short arms do you? What is your castor angle? Recent alignment?

And I agree with dgrigorenko, you have some serious problems that aren't going to be solved by putting over the knuckle steering on. Something else is the problem.

Have someone get in and turn the wheel back and forth real fast so you can check for loose or worn components.

If you're driving around with under-inflated tires like that, you're going to kill someone on the highway...your tire sidewalls are heating up more than you know and you're going to get a blow-out.

Thanks

Just the fact that your driving around on 5psi of tire pressure and don't see anything wrong with it other than bad gas mileage is huge indicator that there is far more wrong here than your steering set-up.

The best advice I can give, stick around here and read allot of threads and start working out the numerous problems that plague your Jeep.

The NAXJA search feature is your new best friend

Back